Mako Shark caught in Wales

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:55 am

Andrew Alsop, the leading shark charter skipper in the UK, apparently caught a Mako yesterday out from Milford Haven. Given the warm weather, and warmer water temps, there's an increased chance we might see more of this happening. A thresher was caught from Cornwall last summer, and 20 - 30 years ago, Threshers & Makos were occasionally caught from boats in SW England. So, if you're going fishing for blues, make sure your gear is up to scratch in case you come across one of these speedsters!

Re: Mako Shark caught in Wales

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:13 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:39 pm

I got spooled yesterday off Youghal , about 250 mts of 45 lb mono gone in a couple of seconds tightened the clutch and had the rod into a maximum arch even the butt was bending and when it reached the knot it snapped like a rifle shot didnt even get a chance to start the engine and go after him it all happened so fast dont know what it was , Iwas putting it down to a large porbeagle or a tuna but now think it could have been a mako or thresher , water temp is touching 20 degrees so we might see more around soon.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Wow, shame you didn't get a glimpse! That's what I love about sea fishing though, you never know what's going to turn up next.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:49 pm

kieranring wrote:I got spooled yesterday off Youghal , about 250 mts of 45 lb mono gone in a couple of seconds tightened the clutch and had the rod into a maximum arch even the butt was bending and when it reached the knot it snapped like a rifle shot didnt even get a chance to start the engine and go after him it all happened so fast dont know what it was , Iwas putting it down to a large porbeagle or a tuna but now think it could have been a mako or thresher , water temp is touching 20 degrees so we might see more around soon.

That sounds like great CRACK kieran :lol: Did a submarine ever cross your mind :shock:

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Interesting stuff as Rob has alluded to in the old days Mako and Threshers were considered indigenous in our waters. Although in reality only a few were landed each season. Also shark angling was far more popular back then with plenty of porbeagles about too. If I remember correctly the Makos were usually hooked by blue shark anglers rather than the porbeagle hunters.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:25 pm

There is Mako off the Old Head of Kinsale. It has been spotted by many people over the last 4 summers and was hooked but not landed two years ago . I saw it about 3 weeks ago while out on the lifeboat, jumping clear of the water south of the Bulman bouy.There is footage of it from when it was hooked (on a 4lb ling used for bait) I will see if I can get hold of it ? If it's not a mako then its another jumping shark 4 metres in length.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:06 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DoHXPvc5y3Y

They go like stink!