Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:57 am

when will people learn?!
http://www.thejournal.ie/man-attempts-t ... 9-Jul2013/

Re: another inflatible eejit..

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:11 am

Lol, feckin eejit is right.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 am

LOL You should see the lads leaving Sorrentto Harbour in an Aldi bought dinghy with a 2.5 horsepower motor, (no lifevest of course and three grown adults on board!!) gonna get a photo one of these days, The left during high tide last year, current whipped them down towards Killiney and they struggled to get back against the tide later that day, they ran out of petrol twice and as they were refilling (yes they brought a Jimmy can) the current whipped them back down to Dalkey Island LOL Ive seen them do this three times last year!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:09 am

yeah, saw a photo up there of similar, 3 lads, dinghy with an engine, no jackets.... Clown shoes..

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19 am

I'm going to have to start flying the Irl flag from my rubber duck! :D :D
I suppose the fact that I always have my life jacket on might separate me from the gobshites as well.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Creep wrote:LOL You should see the lads leaving Sorrentto Harbour in an Aldi bought dinghy with a 2.5 horsepower motor, (no lifevest of course and three grown adults on board!!) gonna get a photo one of these days, The left during high tide last year, current whipped them down towards Killiney and they struggled to get back against the tide later that day, they ran out of petrol twice and as they were refilling (yes they brought a Jimmy can) the current whipped them back down to Dalkey Island LOL Ive seen them do this three times last year!

I've see that too on the sea ward side of dalkey island were it does be quite choppy betwen the two islands. 3 Men in an inflatable fishing, I couldn't believe it when i seen it because the day it was it wasnt flat calm and if they got into difficulty, nobody would see them from the shore because they were on the other side of the island.... Madness!!

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:29 am

I've seen three big eastern europeans 3 and a half miles of caple island in one about 12 ft long with a 2 and half hp suzuki on more than one occasion.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:14 am

What an idiot to try and do something like that,when i was in the navy i was going to sea one monday morning and i was on the after deck having a cuppa when a family of 2 adults and 3 kids were coming from the direction of Fort Davis over to Crosshaven,the skipper stopped the ship dead in the water but to our surprize they had no life jackets on them,one of the lads lifted up a lifejacket and we where told to F**Koff thats how close we were to him.

John Ainsworth.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:22 pm

As shore fishermen (and Women) we've all seen what the sea can throw at us and we ALL know how dangerous it can be, Ive lost close family to the sea, and also aided in person retrieval :( Ive great respect for the RNLI that helps keep us all safe voluntary, and for idiots that take to the sea like this and waste the RNLIs time, its sickening. Seriously started taking the view of Natural Selection, If they go to sea with stupid craft and disregard ALL warnings, then it must be a case of natural selection, as for people (11) so far that have drowned during this fine weather I know the feeling of loss, and in these cases they simply did not know enough about the areas they were in :( I would strongly suggest too ALL forms of media (papers, Radio, and Tv) what about doing a section on Tides, High Water - Low Water and sea conditions etc.IT COULD JUST SAVE A LIFE, and save years of endless sorrow of loss of a loved one. example, swimming on a rising tide in "Most" areas is safe (some areas it causes whip currents but local knowledge would be best for these areas) , as the tide and currents are pushing inshore . on a low tide the currents become stronger moving out to sea.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Should it be the duty of a harbour master to check the sea worthiness of boats prior to them launching? I know there won't be one present at all slips but the bigger slips do. Life jackets could also be checked on at the same time.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:57 am

Crevan wrote:Should it be the duty of a harbour master to check the sea worthiness of boats prior to them launching? I know there won't be one present at all slips but the bigger slips do. Life jackets could also be checked on at the same time.

Sorrento (or Colimore) is a small local slip, and Ive never seen a harbor master there, but these same clowns could easily launch off a beach if stopped at a slip. Funnily enough yesterday while digging bait with the kids, I witnessed two people nearly getting stranded on a sandbar with a flooding tide and onshore wind. I was making my way back to the car with the kids, and I explained to my kids, "This is natural selection at work!!" :P

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:23 pm

Yet again more idiots take to sea... http://www.thejournal.ie/three-men-reco ... book_short

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:36 pm

Absolute muppets! Instead of being grateful for their rescue they said they didn’t request the services and didn’t even want them. There is little doubt that under normal circumstances those imbeciles were selected already by nature for the extinction of their worthless genes. Would it be morally wrong to just let evolution to take its course in cases like this?

Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:58 pm

F..in morons, when the tide comes in anywhere especially where there's reefs and small islands paddling will become more difficult as the tide runs through, the water can have the effect of being in a washing machine, usin an anology as the water bounces around. Nevermind the craft that they were upon and having no lifejackets. F..in clueless. Fair play to the RNLI.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:09 am

Just madness what some of these people do But you can be sure it will lead to a very sad end at some stage.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:41 am

Creep wrote:Sorrento (or Colimore) is a small local slip :P
living and fishing around here all my life and thats the first time i have ever heard of colimore harbour been called sorrento harbour :? :lol:

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:03 pm

JOHN1 wrote:
living and fishing around here all my life and thats the first time i have ever heard of colimore harbour been called sorrento harbour :? :lol:

So have I and I think it's a disgrace to make such a mistake, I feel so mislead that i dont think ill be able to sleep tonight, it's a sad day for all. Pedantic pat strikes again

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:32 pm

bigsod wrote:
JOHN1 wrote:

So have I and I think it's a disgrace to make such a mistake, I feel so mislead that i dont think ill be able to sleep tonight, it's a sad day for all. Pedantic pat strikes again
well i am a sucker for fine detail and i dont like misleading comments, could you imaging what the residents of sorrento terrace would think if they had all sorts of people with rods and rubber boats going down the little lane that runs behind their houses (that was a right of way) down to a great rock fishing mark before it was grown over to look for sorrento harbour, i dont think they would be happy :lol: :lol:

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:59 pm

My great grandfather was the harbour master in bullock harbour many years ago when such a post still existed. I'm sure he would be turning in his grave if he could see some of the craft on the sea and the lack of knowledge and safety equipment from some of the users of the harbours and slips in the area. Some boat users take huge risks going to sea in unsuitable craft and this in turn puts the life of coast gaurd and rnli personnel at risk also.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:22 pm

bigsod wrote:My great grandfather was the harbour master in bullock harbour .

where is this bullock harbour you talk about shane? the only local harbour that i can think of with a Similar name is BULLOCH Harbour in Dalkey :wink: