Anglers worth '755 million euro'

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Some 406,000 people went fishing in Ireland last year and spent about 555 million euro

18 July 2013
Anglers are worth about three-quarters of a billion to the economy, a new study has revealed.

A study into the value of people fishing on loughs, rivers and the coast has found that 406,000 people went fishing in Ireland last year and spent about 555 million euro.

When the wider spending and impact of recreational angling is added in, the sector is estimated to be worth 755 million euro to the overall economy.

Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI), which commissioned the study, said the figures showed that angling and recreational fishing supported about 10,000 jobs, mostly in rural areas.

Fergus O' Dowd, junior minister responsible for natural resources, said the value of angling had been greatly under-estimated.

He said: "The results contained in this report are significant. Angling, as a recreational pursuit, is a major contributor to the fabric of Irish life in all parts of the country, particularly in rural and peripheral areas.

"It is equally clear to me that maintaining a strong focus on the protection and conservation of this vital resource into the future is absolutely key if we are to properly sustain and grow these benefits to anglers, angling businesses and the Irish economy."

According to the report, by consultants Tourism Development International, the average spend on a fishing trip is 628 euro, not counting flights and ferries.

It said that on average the spend fell to 196 euro for an Irish angler travelling for a day or two to fish, and rose to 1,526 euro for someone coming from Britain and 2,114 euro for someone from mainland Europe.

Dr Ciaran Byrne, IFI chief executive, said: "Clearly fish stocks and fish habitat must be conserved, protected and developed. Angling businesses must be given every opportunity to win business and secure and grow the jobs within the sector."

Press Association
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/anglers-worth-755-million-euro-29431087.html

Re: Anglers worth '755 million euro'

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:42 pm

Oh joy. Now that they accept the € value of angling is that big, they're going to milk it like the untapped cash cow it is till the pips squeak.

Hope you guys are ready to put your hands in your pocket if you want to spend a couple of hours on your favourite marks.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Hopefully govt agencies take these findings on board to promote the angling product in Ireland for domestic and tourist anglers alike across all the angling disciplines.
Last edited by hurler01 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:35 am

Tanglerat wrote:Oh joy. Now that they accept the € value of angling is that big, they're going to milk it like the untapped cash cow it is till the pips squeak.

Hope you guys are ready to put your hands in your pocket if you want to spend a couple of hours on your favourite marks.

The glass is half empty eh? Some people see the negative in everything... how about the positive - now we have a figure for how much angling is worth to the economy it can be used to justify funding, fight fish farm proposals, put angling on a level footing with other industries, etc.

For every €1 government investment in angling there is a return of €24 to the economy, that's some return!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 am

Fair point Bradan, I know this might bring up the issue of licenses but if the money is ring fenced into enhancing respective angling sectors I would be all for it alright.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:38 pm

How are they going to enhance my wrecking trips 20kms offshore? Sink a few more container ships, maybe stock a load of blue sharks out there for me?

Bradan, as much as I respect you and the work you put in, you're not a disinterested party here. Neither am I, it's my money that's going to be lifted out of my pocket and I've little enough of that to spare these days. It's my right to pick up a rod and go down to the sea with let or hindrance from officialdom that will be under threat, and that's going to be opposed.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Tanglerat wrote:How are they going to enhance my wrecking trips 20kms offshore? Sink a few more container ships, maybe stock a load of blue sharks out there for me?

Bradan, as much as I respect you and the work you put in, you're not a disinterested party here. Neither am I, it's my money that's going to be lifted out of my pocket and I've little enough of that to spare these days. It's my right to pick up a rod and go down to the sea with let or hindrance from officialdom that will be under threat, and that's going to be opposed.

I see your point TR. Very few of us on here are disinterested parties. I'd love to see a few new wrecks created too, and maybe long term that could be a project funded with ring-renced money from sea anglers. Wishful thinking perhaps!
But surely you can also see the benefits of the survey - for instance we now have a definitive asssessment of the value of bass angling to the economy? Which can be used to debate the issue of resuming commercial fishing for bass when it arises again. Just one benefit of having a survey completed...