Connaght Tibune - Conger attacks diver

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 am

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-ne ... eel-attack

Jimmy left fighting for life after conger eel attack

It’s a good job city businessman Jimmy Griffin is such a calm person. A freak encounter with a six foot conger eel during a day out scuba diving in Connemara last month took a huge chunk out of the side of his mouth and almost cost the award-winning baker his life.

“All of a sudden I felt I got hit by a freight train. That’s the only way to describe it. I got hit by this thing, it had me by the face and I was being tossed around like a rag doll. It hit my head really hard. My regulator was knocked out of my mouth. I knew something was after hitting me and biting me, but I didn’t know what it was. I couldn’t get my hands around it, it was so big. I managed to wrestle it off and the pain started to set in on my face.”

Re: Connaght Tibune - Conger attacks diver

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:43 am

Jaysis!

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:43 am

Just saw it on my news feed posted it and saw yours and delete mine, hell of an eel attack!

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:45 am

read this on fb,terrible

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:33 pm

id say the eel went for the regulator, probably thought it was a pirk...

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:05 pm

And there's the reason you don't hand feed wild animals / fish.

Anyone who watched Colin Stafford Johnson’s “Living the wildlife” saw the divers from Scuba dive west hand feeding the congers in Killary.

They knew some of them by name :roll:

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:52 pm

Interesting. That's a rare event. I haven't heard of a conger attack before. Even Moray eel attacks are far from common. It wouldn't put me off scuba diving with them. If only I could scuba dive in the first place that is. Sur at the end of the day a dog could kill you.:grin:

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Never heard of it myself either. Maybe it was the SHINEY new equipment they were testing. Strange.