Tope Caught in shallow Pool in Rush :(

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:54 am

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2013/0708 ... -williams/

Re: Tope Caught in shallow Pool in Rush :(

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 am

wow thats bonkers! nice to see the folk helping them out though.

dave

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:50 am

Yeah defo good to see people helping them alright, are they defo Tope and not smoothies? Just going by the size and the amount of them, in work watching on my phone on the sly so didn't get a good look :)

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:10 pm

wow, Il have to try that beach for a tope session.....

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 am

:shock: Yeah fishing rock pools

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:42 am

great vid Creep, thanks for posting. hope they made it safely..

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:57 pm

I just found it searching the net, very strange they hung around that long, but It be worth a trip out on the rise one of these evenings ;) Not Saturday or Sunday as that beach gets BUSY in the summer ;)

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Thats something I've seen before. They are Smooth hound tho, you can tell by the second dorsal fin.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:52 pm

cool vid

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:26 am

Great video! Good to see people caring! :D

Smoothhounds will aggregate in large numbers, like a pack of dogs. This is why they are called hounds.
Another good way of telling the difference is by the tail shape. A Tope has a larger lower fork in the tail where as the Smoothies do not have a lower fork in their tail as well as a more pronounced rectangular notched cut out of lower section on the tail.
The Smoothhound's dorsal fin, when viewed from the side, is also set nearer to the pectoral fins than that on the Tope which is positioned more rearwards. The tail indentation on the Smoothound is less deep than that on the Tope, and the Smoothies lower tail lobe is small but on the Tope both upper and lower lobes are roughly equal in length.
Tope have more of a pointy snout as well.
The quick way to separate Smoothhound from small Tope is by the teeth, the Tope's teeth are triangular and ultra sharp capable of chopping prey clean through, whereas the Smoothound's teeth are flattened and blunt similar to a ray's and designed for crushing crabs and other crustaceans and are not designed for cutting.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:15 am

yea they look like hound's to [list=][/list]me.