skinners tried eating me alive!

Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Sensationalist headline I know...
I was out kayaking Little Killary.. then I was drifting slowly along the beach at glassilaun , baits out, hands trailing in the water.. kept noticing somethin on my palm, like grit or debris... lifted hand up and had a couple of the skinners trying to have a go at me....
I know they are a problem here when bait fishing, I've had blanks, with each bait coming up covered in them, but thought they were crawlers, blanketing the bottom, not swimming about. horrid. anyone else ever have them try this?

they're a benthic amphipod I believe.

Re: skinners tried eating me alive!

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 pm

never heard of them doing this before but could well believe it. they are relentless and determined, fearless wee guys
im pretty sure that they can swim to a certain extent i.e. they are somewhat mobile in the water. you must have put your had through a cloud of them. did they actually bite?!

heres some more info on them here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39190&hilit=skinners

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:05 pm

i remember them before starting on my hand after i was holding a bait for ages looking at them in action swarming about the place

if you ever need to get the flesh off the bone these lads are the business!

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Double vision... :oops:
Last edited by Martin46585 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Yeah, could feel something bumbing off my palm...and when i looked down, there were a few buzzin about in the water, put an end to any thoughts of a swim. I've had lice come off a pike before and latch on too....

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Natures finest, beats the heck off an over price fish pedicure.....socks off next time....

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:30 pm

Martin46585 wrote:Natures finest, beats the heck off an over price fish pedicure.....socks off next time....

socks off... feet off... :lol:

thanks

and thats my 1000th post on this forum! :shock: not a SAI Sea Dog! no more! 8)
ta :P