drift nets 06

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

drift nets 06

Postby cortaz » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:04 pm

heard that drift netting is to coutinue in 2006 the march/protest in kerry dident do any good then.
was the protest worth the efford?
art/
cortaz
Convicted Poacher - No Shame

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby Tanglerat » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:57 pm

Yeah, I reckon it was.

Might not have produced instant results, but it was an important step on the road.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby quarterflounder » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:15 pm

I'm happy to know that I did not sit by and do nothing. Let those with the power to change things wrestle with their conscience (consceince - politician - maybe one day) but they can't say they did not know.
quarterflounder

Postby x » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:48 pm

I expect that there will still be netting this year and probably until we get a change of government. As we have seen time and time again, we appear to have elected this shower to represent the will of the people, and they, well, aren't. Since we can't vote them out, the least we can do is not vote the same lot in again. If you haven't already, start your own personal whispering campaign among family and friends....

I have two very apt quotes I use to guide my poitical opinion.

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
--Larry Hardiman

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
--Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
x

Postby Leon Roskilly » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:33 pm

Leon Roskilly
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

More pressure on Dept of the Marine over salmon nets....

Postby x » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:44 am

"From an article this morning in [url]http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/54601.html[/url].

The ASFB wrote to Pat Gallagher, Ireland's marine minister, over the continued damage to Scottish salmon stocks from Irish drift nets, but his reply ""neglected to address any of the Scottish issues raised"".
"
x

Postby x » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:55 am

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0120/salmon.html

Salmon fund in moves to restore stocks

20 January 2006 09:11

The North Atlantic Salmon Fund, which is trying to end drift-netting, has claimed that it will force the Government to stop this method of fishing in order to protect stocks of wild salmon.
x

Postby quarterflounder » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:08 pm

I don't understand these licenses. Why should we buy them out? There should be an auction for the TAC every year. I'm not guaranteed that I will have the right to do my job next year so why should fisherman. In the UK we had a thing called TUPE - the job could be contracted to a different company but the workers transferred to the new contractor and away we went. I've been tUPE'd in the IT service Industry twice. This is absolute crap that a man can fish this year cos he had a "license" last year. He should apply to buy a license each year the same as the rest of us. If he thinks he can make money - buy it. If he is unsure - keep his money - or form a cooperative of fishermen - Buy a license for 500 fish - divvy up the cost and payout on who caught what.
quarterflounder

Postby x » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:57 pm

The idea of buying out licenced fishermen is not new, as we know. If the licences for the whole salmon TAC, as it were, were put on an open market every year and angling interests - clubs etc, outbid the commercials every time, the real beneficiaries would be the spin-off industries like pubs, hotels, bnbs, restaurants, airlines, car hire etc - who have contributed sod all.

I believe that salmon should be protected the same way bass is supposed to be protected - as a game fish only - same with sea trout.

These should be a national resource and should not be prostituted for the sake of a few votes or to keep your mates happy. Not pointing any fingers here... :lol:
x

Postby quarterflounder » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:14 pm

Let any angler with a rod buy a license - same as before - no change to that scenario needed. I'm even comfortable with commercial rod fishermen!

The nets have to go.

And I say tough luck to anyone who buys a commercial licence from someone else - you can't buy someones driving license so why allow this?

It should be as simple as this. Give anybody with a license the option to sell it to the government over the next 5 years on a sliding scale. you get 5 this year, 4 next 3.2.1........ This would drive most to sell this year as there would be diminishing returns over a 5 year period.

Anybody left with a netting license should then be offered minimum compulsory compensation. In 5 years the "job for life" mentality is gone.

Then some annual licenses can be granted to the communities that need it most and some licenses can be sold to Pats mates!

It is not rocket science - it just needs a government willing to protect the future.
quarterflounder

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions