Jo Borg in Ireland

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Jo Borg in Ireland

Postby Leon Roskilly » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:52 pm

"The European Commissioner for Fisheries and Maritime Affairs, Joe Borg, began a visit to Ireland this morning."

http://europa.eu.int/comm/fisheries/new ... _63_en.htm

"“I am looking forward to hearing from Irish stakeholders what their particular problems are and their suggestions for tackling them. I believe that dialogue among the interested parties is the surest way to identify the best solutions to respond to the challenges that the fisheries sector is facing."

It might be worthwhile for Irish Anglers to drop him a line, telling him how important Recreational Sea Angling is to Ireland, and the need for fish stock management measures that can be used to develop the sector for the better benefit of Ireland.

Oh! and why did he not take the opportunity to talk to Irish Anglers and those dependent on the Recreational Angling Sector, and the fish stocks that sustain its value.

Contact details at: http://europa.eu.int/comm/commission_ba ... act_en.htm

Let them know that we are here!!

Tight Lines - leon
Leon Roskilly
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby x » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:30 am

"
""I am looking forward to hearing from Irish stakeholders what their particular problems are and their suggestions for tackling them. I believe that dialogue among the interested parties is the surest way to identify the best solutions to respond to the challenges that the fisheries sector is facing.""
- Joe Borg, European Commissioner for Fisheries and Maritime Affairs

I've highlighed a couple of words above.

Stakeholders: Given that Pat the Cope made sure he didn't meet any representatives of the angling fraternity, you may assume that he feels we are not stakeholders and as such can be completely ignored. Remember this come election time. I've written to him personally, to his office, to his party, and to every politician I can find an address for in this country. I consider myself a stakeholder and I have been ignored. For now. I intend to change that.

Problems: Too many to list, but the fact that we can have industrial trawling/netting right up to the high water mark should tell you something.

Suggestions: A 3 mile MPA right around the coast would solve so many problems. Ban gill nets altogether. We have one species out of the hundreds around our coast that has a quasi-protected status. Need I go on?

Dialogue among the interested parties: Are we not interested, or just not organised and represented?"
x

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions