Bass washed up on Ballyconigar Beach

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Bass washed up on Ballyconigar Beach

Postby quarterflounder » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:55 pm

I fished The above on Sunday 2/10/05 for 3 hours. Whilst there my brother went for an amble and returned with a legal (>41cm) Bass which had obviously been dead for a while - eyes out, Dorsal fin almost gone but otherwise still intact apart from a hole in the caudal area. After about an hour another angler came over to us with a dead fish wanting to know what it was - another Bass 35cm or more, again well dead but not as decayed but intact. Anybody any ideas whats going on? No other fish were washed up other than maybe a dozen 2 foot diameter jellyfish and there was a seal offshore. ~Lots of diving birds offshore (gannets?) but otherwise a calm sea.
quarterflounder

Postby stylie » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:05 pm

maybe so called anglers killed the first two Bass they caught as with keeping with the law, then fished on only to catch a larger Bass which they would then kill and chuck the small dead one back so it would seem that they just have two. I know its hard to believe but i have heard stories like that concerning trout fishing with limits and the same so called anglers would try the same thing with Bass
stylie

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions