Litter

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Litter

Postby x » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:57 pm

I noticed a post today where one angler had to clean up after some of our less tidy fellow sportsmen, which is a sad state of affairs in this day and age.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... php?t=3354

While littering is the act of a mindless moron, it is unfortunate that at the moment that organisation beginning with P are trying to get angling banned. Again. As usual. But they have a bit of a drive on now, so this sort of news comes at a bad time.

Their two stated reasons are that anglers litter the place and that we hurt fish. In that order, I might add. They can't get any credible scientific research that proves fish feel pain, and they can't say that the vast majority of anglers aren't conservation minded and environmentally concientious, so they have to use littering as the main excuse.

Why would anyone who enjoys angling give them the least excuse or ammunition (and over litter, of all things!) to have it banned?

Fair play to the man that cleaned up the mess at Fanad. You are a credit to angling.
x

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:13 pm

same craic at all the competition posts at balckhead in co clare - used line, plastic bags, lure packaging all strewn all over the place - terrible

Postby RobertMcClean » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:49 pm

The best is at some of the major opens were organizers are sometimes good enough to walk up the beach after the match to clear up. And it’s not a small Tesco bag they fill either more like a few refuse sacks! the worst offender is the Angler who digs a hole and buries the rubbish. I don't know how many times I have accidentally unearthed rubbish after a match the night before. It is sad to say the least; all this does is anger locals and in turn makes events sometimes harder to organize, not to mention branding anglers in general as Morons and Simpletons. Just bring it home and dump it in the bin, takes all of two minutes to do :roll:
Thresher
Call Sign: EIDV5
RobertMcClean
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 8 times

litter

Postby beachcaster » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:11 pm

seems to get worse when the makerel are in guys drinking beer and stuff throwing litter at there feet, dead fish thrown on the rocks ,most anglers take there rubbish home with them .fishing comp as i do you have to, or be prepared for what comes to you .we have a lovely coast line all around. please tidy up after yourself and if you want to drink go the bar and stay there.fishing on rocks and drinking dont mix falling on rocks is bad enough but falling into the sea is a hell of a lot worse.end of sermon.
beachcaster
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1 time

litter

Postby rockyb23 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:57 pm

alas I doubt that the gomes who do such things are frequent visitors to this site. Would that it were otherwise, but I feel such pleas will fall on deaf ears.
rockyb23
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 13 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions