Phone numbers to report illegal fishing

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Re: Phone numbers to report illegal fishing

Postby flyno » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:55 am

myworldfishing wrote:Is it working.....

Has anyone reported something and seen any action from it???

15 nets found in the dunany point area of louth in the last 4 weeks, fisheries have been told, guards have been told, every man and his dog has been told, and yet they have still to show up. 15 nets are only the ones that have been found. Even of some the locals are now looking and removing any that they find. The guards have even been given the names of some of those responsible. So while i have every respect for the fisheries board and what they do, sometimes i feel that they are only interested in protecting areas where the rivers enter the sea to protect the salmon and trout, Just my thoughts...
flyno
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby Bertos » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Netting going on off Courtown the last few nights. They wait til dark and then go out, very close to shore. Is this allowed? They might be fishing for herring but it's pretty close to the river there too where seatrout and salmon may well be hanging around for a flood to enter the river.

How does a salmon or seatrout know it's only a herring net?

Is this practice allowed? Do you need a licence to net for herring? Can you fish so close to the shore and in the proximity of a river?
Bertos
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby tex » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Bertos wrote:Netting going on off Courtown the last few nights. They wait til dark and then go out, very close to shore. Is this allowed? They might be fishing for herring but it's pretty close to the river there too where seatrout and salmon may well be hanging around for a flood to enter the river.

How does a salmon or seatrout know it's only a herring net?

Is this practice allowed? Do you need a licence to net for herring? Can you fish so close to the shore and in the proximity of a river?

There's no licence available for wot they're up to!!
Species 2012
Whiting,coalies,seatrout,turbot,flounder,bass,rockling
tex
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby Bertos » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Just as I thought. 2 boats out tonight from Courtown and a pickup pulled up with a load of crates in the back for the catch. They were also out last night and practically every night.

They may well be catching herring but they must also be catching everything else including bass, salmon or seatrout if they're there. Why wait until dark to go out and net? Highly suspicious.
Bertos
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Tommy B » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Did you report them? This is getting outta control 15 nets in Dunnanny how are they getting away with it.
Is there any fisheries officers on this forum and if not wouldn't it be in their interest to join or someone invite them?
Imagine what the fishing would be like without these b******s???
Tommy B
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby Bertos » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Can someone give the number that we can ring for nets at sea as the publicised one seems to be only for inland fisheries. A bailiff even didn't know the situation as the nets were at sea and he only deals with inland fisheries, has never dealt with a net at sea. Who deals with these? No-one seems to know? He did think that herring nets could not be set between sunset and sunrise and definitely not anywhere near a river. On the Slaney nets cannnot be set within one mile of the estuary. I presume something similar must be the case with smaller rivers.

Can someone from the Fisheries Board or whoever deals with sea stocks or inshore netting come on to clear up the situation on what can and cannot be done because the way it is what stops me from going out with a net close to shore.
Bertos
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Tanglerat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:41 pm

Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Big Bass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:07 pm

Good stuff,numbers worth saving to your phone,hope more people start to use this info.too many people willing to sit back and do nothing.
Species 2011: Bass,Cod,Pollock,Mackerel,Flounder,Dogs,Huss,Whiting,Coalie,Plaice
Big Bass
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby fisherboy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:48 am

well done, i bet there foreigners ,, i was talking to a water keeper lately he said there cleaning out the rivers and lakes over a 100 prosecuted already this year,,
fisherboy
SAI Lug Worm

Postby hottopic » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:16 pm

"Inland Fisheries Ireland is charged with ensuring the protection and conservation of our fisheries resource, both the fish and their habitats. IFI's area of responsibility covers both inland waterways and out to the twelve mile limit off the coast.The species protected include all freshwater fish, sea bass and certain molluscs.
As well as enforcing provisions of the Fisheries Acts, IFI is empowered to enforce the Water Pollution Acts 1977 & 1990, and at fisheries sensitive locations where industrial, local authority and agricultural discharges have resulted in a serious deterioration in water quality, including fish kills, successful prosecutions have been taken."
Inland Fisheries Irelands national 24 Hour Confidential Phone Line begins operation tomorrow, December 1st, 2010. The all important number is 1890 34 74 24 or for easier recall 1890 FISH 24. This phone line is designed to encourage the reporting of incidences of illegal fishing, water pollution and invasive species.
Inland Fisheries Ireland staff will investigate the reports and process as appropriate.
From December 1st, the public can call IFI any time they witness illegal fishing or discover a water pollution event. Receiving timely information is critical to apprehending those responsible for damaging fish stocks or fish habitat.
The public’s help is also being sought to prevent the spread of invasive species, which can cause millions of euros of damage to the aquatic environment.

Dr Ciaran Byrne, CEO of Inland Fisheries Ireland, launched the phone line saying ‘ this initiative is vital to our intelligence led protection programme . Our aim is to stamp out the antisocial practice of illegal fishing and to protect the fish and fisheries habitat. With the public’s help, Inland Fisheries Ireland can improve on its successful record of apprehension and prosecution of those involved in illegal fishing and destruction of our inland fisheries resource. I urge all those with an interest in preserving this wonderful natural resource to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to 1890 34 74 24’
hottopic
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby danbrosnan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:48 am

Came across tis site about netting on the dingle peninsula taught it was very good... https://www.facebook.com/DinglePeninsulaFishing
danbrosnan
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 64 times

Postby doggy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:32 pm

is there any protecting laws for the wrasse? cant seem to find any on web, last day i was out fishing my local rock mark , there was a guy taking ballen wrasse for eating, i went over and said to him did he understand they were such slow growers and if you keep taking them there will be none left, his reply was the sea is full of fish and he understands that in lakes u need to release them but not in the sea, also he said that they are fast growers, were he got that information i dont know, my guess he just made it up in his own mind, or was just saying that knowing very well they are endangered species. lets just say he was not irish... nearly brought a tear to my eye and made me feel sick, when im worried about deep hooking and this guy just nailing them, something has to be done about this, and the sooner the better
doggy
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby dexs7 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks, very handy
The finest gift you can give a fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

2016 Bass, Flounder, Turbot, Dogfish, Pollock,Mackerel, Bull Huss, Coal Fish

2013 8

2012 (8) Bass (P.B 7.5 lb)

2011 (17)

2010 (14)
dexs7
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Holeopen » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:01 pm

No law relating to capture or protection of Ballach(conor/wrasse), they are widely netted and used by lobster men for pot bait. In Aran and Connemara they are salted and dried for eating. They are a non quota species and are not protected.
Holeopen
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby Derek M » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:59 am

red wrote:i just rang the 1890 34 74 24 number about something and was told they are ONLY inland fisheries so could do nothing for me. was told to contact the Enviornmental Protection Agency instead on 0539160600

I contacted the EPA to be told its nothing to do with them and to ring
DUCHAS on 016472300
when i rang that number i got a message to say the number is not in service

what a joke

Have had similar thing happen on 2 different occasions on second time instead of number not in service i got a message saying that the person/numbers mail box is full so i couldn't even leave a message. :roll:
Derek M
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby martin435 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:06 am

Im assuming this could be called for river issues too. Saw two guys on the tolka last week. Of not native origin (don't get me wrong not just an issue with non nationals) But they had a net with three trout in it. One was ok size wise and two under sized. Both lads had licenses pinned to jackets but if I had taken note of the number can they be traced back.
martin435
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby Valdas7 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Authorities should go for a walk on river Barrow in Co. Carlow...
I can guarrranty they would catch minimum 5 illegal salmon "anglers"... a day. November and December is a paradise for those hungry creatures...
Valdas7

Previous

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions