Phone numbers to report illegal fishing

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Phone numbers to report illegal fishing

Postby donal domeney » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 pm

http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press-re ... rvice.html

If nothing else is someone new to vent our anger on. :lol:
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks:
Big Bass (Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:36 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Re: 24 hour number for the IFI

Postby macka1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:11 am

Nice one,hopefully they will enforce what they say,at least now theres somewhere else ( if this government doesnt have a claw in )that we can inform of the blatant abuse to fish stocks BY ILLEGAL PRACTICES thats going on.Its up to us to be the eyes and ears and report what we see and hear on the grapevine regarding illegal practices so they can look into it regarding the authenticiity and preserve our pastime for future generations to enjoy..
macka1
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:35 pm

How 1890 34 74 24 will work

From December 1st, the phone line will be manned on a 24Hour basis. All calls will be answered by IFI trained personnel, not an answering machine. Details of the information will be logged and the information will be passed on to the relevant person and office in IFI on a 24 hour, 7 day basis. Follow up of calls may be immediate where resources allow and the information is classified as urgent. Where calls relate to past events, follow up will begin on the next working day.

Callers will be encouraged to provide their personal contact details to allow for further follow up on their information where required.

Inland Fisheries Ireland is a statutory body operating under the aegis of the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources and was established under the Fisheries Act on 1st July 2010. Its principal function is the protection and conservation of the inland fisheries resource. IFI will promote, support, facilitate and advise the Minister on, the conservation, protection, management, development and improvement of inland fisheries, including sea angling and develop and advise the Minister on policy and national strategies relating to inland fisheries and sea angling.

about time!
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby corbyeire » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:53 pm

number on the phone so i dont get caught out - like i did the last time
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby spur39 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:44 pm

I called this number recently to report a guy staking a net in my local estuary,the woman on the other end then proceeded to ask me a number of questions , unfortunately all the questions related to fresh water rivers and lakes when I explained that the net was in the sea she seemed lost as to what to do next .I hope that this 24 hour hot line is not just for salmon and trout anglers.
spur39
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Bradan » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:43 pm

spur39 wrote:I called this number recently to report a guy staking a net in my local estuary,the woman on the other end then proceeded to ask me a number of questions , unfortunately all the questions related to fresh water rivers and lakes when I explained that the net was in the sea she seemed lost as to what to do next .I hope that this 24 hour hot line is not just for salmon and trout anglers.

The first successful capture directly relating to information received from the hotline was a bass netting incident in saltwater. The people answering the phones are not fisheries personnel, they are an answering service, they have to ask certain questions to narrow down the area and type of incident so they can then contact the right personnel in the right area. It will take the people answering the phones a bit of time to get up to speed on everything. Its a new service and will have teething problems, but its a big improvement on what was there before.
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Another body to report illegal fishing.

Postby davetilly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Can the mods put this as a sticky thanks the more numbers the better

About The Sea-Fisheries Protection Authority: SFPA
The SFPA was established under the provisons of the Sea-Fisheries and Maritime Jurisdiction Act 2006 and is Ireland's competent authority for Seafood Safety and Sea-Fisheries Protection. The SFPA’s mission is:
“To apply sea fisheries conservation legislation and seafood safety legislation fairly and consistently in accordance with the provisions of the Sea-Fisheries and Maritime Jurisdiction Act 2006, and to promote compliance with the law co-operatively with sea-fisheries and seafood sectors and other relevant interests, with the overall objective of ensuring that the marine fish and shellfish resources from the waters in Ireland's EEZ are exploited legally and consumed safely for the long term benefit of all.”
Based in Clonakilty, County Cork, the SFPA has a number of offices in the major ports around the coast, at Killybegs, Ros a’ Mhíl, An Daingean, Castletownbere, Dunmore East and Howth.
The continued health of Ireland’s economy and coastal communities is dependent upon our natural resources being used sustainably. It is important for Ireland to have well managed fisheries and the SFPA will continue to engage with the fishing industry to promote compliance with the essential requirements of the legislation.
SFPA supports a sustainable and profitable commercial fishing sector, while protecting and conserving fisheries resources for long-term exploitation.
Local communities play a vital role in protecting our fisheries resources and ensuring that bad practices or illegal fishing activities are effectively addressed. With this in mind the SFPA have introduced a confidential telephone line:

1890 76 76 76.

We encourage anyone who is aware of any suspect activity to contact us on this number with the relevant information.
The SFPA works closely with our Consultative Committee, and, with the assistance of the Naval Service, Air Corps, Marine Institute and Food Safety Authority of Ireland, the SFPA will continue to deliver a professional effective and efficient public service.
Privacy Policy Accessibility Statement Disclaimer
davetilly
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Phone numbers to report illegal fishing

Postby Stevieg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:50 am

i took down the 1890 34 74 24 number, will that cover pretty much all types of fishing?
no doubt its gona be needed
Stevieg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby red » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:02 pm

i just rang the 1890 34 74 24 number about something and was told they are ONLY inland fisheries so could do nothing for me. was told to contact the Enviornmental Protection Agency instead on 0539160600

I contacted the EPA to be told its nothing to do with them and to ring
DUCHAS on 016472300
when i rang that number i got a message to say the number is not in service

what a joke

For this message the author red has received thanks:
kerrywez (Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:27 pm)
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby JimH » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Sorry to sound stooopid guy - are you sure this is what they said - I'm taking it your issue is in the sea!
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby red » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:48 pm

yep, positive thats what they said, and yes, it was in the sea.
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby kevin o connor » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:38 pm

fastnet wrote:There was a time in this country when an informer was either shot or burnt out....surely there is a better way lads......this holier than thou approach sucks....there's none of us who are so pure as to entitle us to point the finger...

There was a time when it was ok for politicians to take backhanders, there was a time when the bankers could do what they wanted, there was a time when developers answered to no-one, there was a time when kids were abused by priests on a daily basis, there was a time when unmarried mothers were sent away to have their children in secret. There was a time when there were large shoals of fish on our coastlines. Times change, wake up and smell the coffee.
I don't fish to catch fish. I just like using the gear.
If you think I am narky now, you should hear me when I'm in bad humour.

For this message the author kevin o connor has received thanks: 3
Bradan (Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:22 pm), danbrosnan (Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:51 pm), kerrywez (Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:28 pm)
kevin o connor
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby Al and Jordan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:16 pm

well said kevin. could'nt agree more.
Al and Jordan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 415 times

Postby fastnet » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:28 pm

Can I presume therefore that you all ring the Gardai every time you or your family break the speed limit,or have one too many and drive?
I suppose you never had an "after hours" drink either....
Do you ring the taxman every time you receive a cash payment?
Declare to the dole office every nixer you've done...

all I'm saying is there must be a better way........let the one without sin cast the first stone......
fastnet
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby RockHunter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:37 pm

fastnet wrote:Can I presume therefore that you all ring the Gardai every time you or your family break the speed limit,or have one too many and drive?

What's your problem?
fastnet wrote:all I'm saying is there must be a better way........let the one without sin cast the first stone......

A better way would be for the fishery authorities to conficate the boats - that would put a stop to the swine!!!
Cod season Winter 2013/14: 117 cod (best fish: 6.5 lbs)
Cod season Winter 2014/15: 193 cod (best fish: 4.25 lbs)

Bass Totals:
2007: 1
2008: 37
2009: 120
2010: 44
2011: 151
2012: 79
2013: 20
2014: 19
2015: 11
2016: 3

http://rockhunter-southcoastbass.blogspot.com

For this message the author RockHunter has received thanks:
kerrywez (Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:29 pm)
RockHunter
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 366 times

Postby nige » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:39 pm

RockHunter wrote:
fastnet wrote:Can I presume therefore that you all ring the Gardai every time you or your family break the speed limit,or have one too many and drive?

What's your problem?
fastnet wrote:all I'm saying is there must be a better way........let the one without sin cast the first stone......

A better way would be for the fishery authorities to conficate the boats - that would put a stop to the swine!!!

I agree with that and the car or suv that was used in getting them to the area along with all fishing tackle.

For this message the author nige has received thanks:
kerrywez (Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:30 pm)
nige
Wee Hours Boss!

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby seaotter » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:06 pm

i was shocked today ,about the estuary where we like to fish ,my friend fished today there and the diver came to him and told that the huge underwater net is separating estuary and the open water :shock: so no fish at all :evil: can we do something or should i and my few budys dont sleep few nights and spend some time there ..........
seaotter
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby enda pegger » Sat May 14, 2011 10:23 pm

fastnet you have a point if we where all to go around reporting people we d have to build more prisons for definate any fellas that are fishing illegal are more than likely doing it to support themselfs or familys in hard times it would nt bother me one bit if they were to open bass fishing comercialy the brits can fish for them an take a lot in stock every year what surprizes me is that i ve never heard of protests by anglers over there on bass laws an i might be wrong but there s probley more anglers over there than population here do they not care or are irish anglers moaners an reporters maybe we should start exporting

all I'm saying is there must be a better way........let the one without sin cast the first stone......
enda pegger
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby guitarsmith » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 pm

great to see this on web
guitarsmith
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby myworldfishing » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Is it working.....

Has anyone reported something and seen any action from it???
myworldfishing
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 125 times

Next

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions