Salmon / Sea Trout Kill

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Salmon / Sea Trout Kill

Postby Conor H » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:38 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/nort ... 713767.stm

Not stricly sea angling news , but worth posting I think.
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
-----------------------------
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

fish kill

Postby STUART LANGRIDGE » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:56 pm

TERRIBLE DISASTER FOR FISHING
our club is fishing the estuary at the mouth of the roe on 14th august 2005
i dont know if there will be any adverse effect of the flounder and eel fishing this is an open competition using catch & release system and it seems ironic that this can happen so easily these days, the knock on effect will be felt around the limavady area with again tourism being hammered, i think those responsible should be heavily penalised
STUART LANGRIDGE

Postby Bigbill. » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:04 pm

I agree with what Stuart says, But I think financial penalties are a waste of time as a lot of companies are either insured for this or are exempt from prosecution (water service etc.).
Would holding management / directors accountable personally for pollution as in Health and Safety issues not be more effective? A spell at her majesty's pleasure or community service along with restoration costs would surely focus their minds more on pollution issues.

Bill
Bigbill.

Postby Adrian » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:18 am

I agree with what Stuart says, But I think financial penalties are a waste of time as a lot of companies are either insured for this or are exempt from prosecution (water service etc.).
Would holding management / directors accountable personally for pollution as in Health and Safety issues not be more effective? A spell at her majesty's pleasure or community service along with restoration costs would surely focus their minds more on pollution issues.

Bill

I don't know what the law is in the North but down here a fine for pollution can be large enough to close you down, even for a branch of a multinational (According to the facilities manager where I work anyway). I wouldn't imagine that the Irish Government have come up with this off their own bat so I reckon it's an EU directive.
Adrian

Postby STUART LANGRIDGE » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:32 am

Fair comment adrian , if the penalties were stiffer rather than a pitance it could work, however i also agree with bigbill maybe a stretch inside would sort it out, cos the financial penalties in the north are a joke, certainly not enough to put a major company out of action, i still think that this fish kill has been yet another slurry or farm pesticide incident rather than a major company, itll come out soon enough who was responsible
STUART LANGRIDGE

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions