Bass Closed Season 15th May - 15th June

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Bass Closed Season 15th May - 15th June

Postby jfkireland » Sat May 14, 2005 11:09 am

Folks,

PLEASE REMEMBER

"The closed season for bass from the 15th of May to the 15th of June.
If you accidentally catch a bass during this period, just return him alive to the sea. Specimen bass cannot be claimed during the closed season"

If you witness illegal bass poaching during the closed period please contact the the relevant number below:

Eastern Regional Fisheries Board. Tel: +353 1 2787022
Southern Regional Fisheries Board. Tel: + 353 52 23624
South Western Regional Fisheries Board. Tel: +353 26 41221
Shannon Regional Fisheries Board. Tel: +353 61 300238
Western Regional Fisheries Board. Tel: +353 91 563118
North Western Regional Fisheries Board. Tel: +353 96 22623
Northern Regional Fisheries Board. Tel: +353 71 9851435

Cheers
JK
jfkireland
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby ckpainters » Sun May 15, 2005 9:46 am

if I caught any type of bass I would be very happy to put it back. I think I would have more chance of winning the lotto.

Colin
ckpainters
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Keep it up

Postby John D » Sun May 15, 2005 7:44 pm

Good message my man!!! Keep up the good work.
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Postby Donagh » Mon May 16, 2005 1:30 pm

Notice the word if you accidently catch a bass. Some people still thinks its ok to plug for them as long as their returned its not.

Donagh
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby kiwijbob » Mon May 16, 2005 1:35 pm

good post - I actually forgot and would have happily tried to get one this weekend, any weekend really :lol:
I Fish therefore I lie
kiwijbob
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby blowin » Tue May 17, 2005 1:11 am

I'd say the same as kiwijbob . Reminders about this sort of thing would be much appreciated if anyone out there has the knowledge and time to post them .
All the best
blowin
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 29 times

bass ban

Postby kiwijbob » Thu May 19, 2005 2:01 pm

I reminded a fellow angler over the weekend that the
Bass Ban (prefer Guinness anyhow :lol: ) was in effect
as of the 15th he replied something to the effect of "so what",
is calling the cfb really going to do anything? Does any body
really monitor who takes what from the beaches?
I Fish therefore I lie
kiwijbob
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby jfkireland » Fri May 20, 2005 12:10 am

Hi Kiwijbob,
I would sincerely hope they would. I assume that enforcing bye laws would be the underpinning of their purpose.
JK
jfkireland
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 4:40 pm

6lb bass caught by some guy and killed off an arklow beach...I mentioned the ban-says he- 'WHAT BAN' , says I 'but you have to put it back its out of season'.
' but this is the first bass i have ever caught and i have been trying to catch one for the last two years'

...how do u argue with that...sorry for going in under guest but too many phycos out there....

Postby Drew » Mon May 23, 2005 10:00 pm

We don't get Bass up where I am, So won't be put into this situation, How'n'ever, Rules and regulations put in place by groups in Authority should be adhered to.

Fish stocks have got to the point over the last few years. that anything in the way of a closed season, Nursery Areas, and Conservation areas are truely a blessing, people taking undersized fish, taking fish in the closed season can only serve to destroy the sport and ultimately THAT 6lb fish was probably just on the verge of being a breeder.

If we don't abide by conservation rules now, We'll be the ones to blame in the Future, Same goes for Cod, in fact, Same goes for Skate, and Huss, and Tope, and every other fish in Irish waters, If scientific study proves that a species is in trouble, we should do all we can to protect its numbers, and allow for the natural regeneration of the species.
2015 Lure: Pollack, Herring, Whiting, Sand Goby, Poor Cod, Pouting

42 Species to beat 2011 & 2014
Drew
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby Drew » Tue May 24, 2005 3:41 pm

A little conservation mindedness goes a hell of a long way, Hell I have seen kids nearly keeping Ballans to show Mum and Dad!. Had to show them the error of their ways!
2015 Lure: Pollack, Herring, Whiting, Sand Goby, Poor Cod, Pouting

42 Species to beat 2011 & 2014
Drew
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby Guest » Wed May 25, 2005 7:05 am

apologies, i was the guest (only posting this under guest cause i'm a registered member and my contact details are listed and because of my age don't need any fall out over this,) that posted the last day, i was so furious when i wrote the post and it didn't really make sence and after reding it i wasn't sure if i should have said anything at all, i witnessed another angler catching a wonderful bass. i told him about the ban and that he should release it back, and that he would have had greater pleasure in doing that then killing it. he did think about it and then reasoned that he had never killed a bass before and that this was his best ever catch from the shore and itwas special and he wanted to bring it home. he said if i just take one where's the harm, now i know no one on this forum would kill a out of season bass and more likely like me would never kill a bass full stopbut this guy wasn't a club or competition angler,just a pleasure angler who's reasoning was that it wasn't him that was going to cause the demise of the bass population rather the trawler with it 1/2 mile wide net that was sweeping the grounds a 1/2 mile of shore. anyway i was furious over the situation and really shouldn't have posted and i like to aplolgise to anyone on the forum that was offended but it raises the point that if laws are created and passed there seems to be very little enforcement on the ground...

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions