hook size

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

hook size

Postby ckpainters » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:58 pm

as i am coming back to match fishing after some years. i have noticed that hook sizes are coming down.can we talk about how small and why or is it because there are fewer and fewer fish to be had.
ckpainters
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby MAC » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:48 am

Not having much of a clue about this I have seen the reports form comps and the like and most of the fish caught are smaller. Using smaller hooks I'm sure firstly you have a better chance of hooking a bite and secondly a better chance of not bumping the fish off. Just my thoughts.

Kevin
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby frodo baggins » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:56 am

i'm not into the match scene myself, but overall angling has seen an improvement in fish care and conservation, and the use of smaller hooks(with smaller barbs) would cause minimal harm to the fish. also using smaller hooks improved bait presention(within reason) the less metal buried inside the bait, the more natural the bait is going to be presented in the water. well there's my thoughts on the subject, makes sense to me anyway
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
frodo baggins
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Wayne » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:57 pm

I choose my hook size by the bait being used, then by what species are likely to be caught.

You are more likely to hook up with, and land a descent Cod with small size 1 hooks while targeting say Whiting, Dogs and Dabs in a match than target the Cod with 4/0 pennels hoping to pick up the smaller species.

Hope it makes sense :wink:
Wayne
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby ckpainters » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:46 pm

Fair point wayne. with points system it is all about fish and if they are small well so be it
ckpainters
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby George » Sun May 01, 2005 5:03 pm

I have found myself stepping down to 15lb snoods and size 6 hooks for general match conditions especially for flats , just look at the size of their mouths. Only use enough bait to cover the hook even if that means using a small segment of a rag.
George
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions