NEW TO FISHING WHAT DO I DO?

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Hiya All,

Im 26 male from waterford. I have been looking to start fishing and have spoken to a few places but i cannot seem to get the advice i need or i dont know where to start, or what to get im a complete novice.

Could you give me any tips or advice ?

Pierce

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:19 pm

hi pierce, im sure you will get all the answers you require from everyone here, just ask the questions.

As to the fishing, have you bought your gear yet, the guys here can certainly give good advice on that, my advice, dont go overboard, buy just what you need and dont spend large amounts of cash, look around for a good starter package deal, many branded deals are out there and im sure your local tackle shop would be pleased to give advice.

And if they are any kind of decent dealerthey wont rip you off and sell just what you need and offer good adice on what to use, were to fish, bait to use and when.

Good LUCK

Mark

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:30 pm

Well Pierce.
It is tough to answer this as I don't know what you like fishing wise. There are so many different disciplines for the want of a better word.

If you have never done any fishing before I would suggest a handy spot like Dunmore to start off. There is no need to be able to cast here as the fish are under your feet. Same goes for Woodstown. I can give you a lot more help If I know where you are coming from, what you would like to catch, do you have any gear.

Give us a little more info and I will have you away in no time.

A great place to start is to join a local club. There is a wealth of info to be had when watching others who know what they are at.

Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:56 pm

I think that Coaster hit the nail on the head, join your local sea angling club or at least go and watch them fishing. You will learn an awful lot quickly this way. Most anglers would be more than happy to give you a few pointers. This way you should be able to pick up the basics fairly fast.

I thought myself from books because there was no club near me nor did I know of anyone who fished. I basically fished on my own for a few years until I met Eugene Farrelly from Tralee bay Sac one day and he got me to join the club and showed me the ropes. The next year I won master angler at the club.

They are also some very good books on the basics out there. Read a couple of the sea angling magazines. You local tackle dealer probably has a few guys like yourself in every week, so he should be a good starting point also.

Best of look with your fishing.

One warning , fishing is very addictive.