Catch and Release comments

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:47 am

[mod: Relates to [url=http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?t=14283]this post[/url]]

That's the type of guys they should be after....

On the same subject but a different angle, I've given up posting on this site as its just so full of C.A.R politicians...
Poor old 'T-Bag' got a roasting a few months back, for landing a few Bass LEGALLY....
People in Glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I know several other people who have been 'bullied' or frightened off this site, afraid to post pics in case they get abuse.
Now maybe this is not the correct thread to bring this up, but it is an 'Opinion' and 'comment'.

I couldn't be bothered to elaborate any more or start an argument/debate - one only has to read down through various threads etc. to see exactly what I mean. These people spoil the pleasure of fishing for everyone else with their 'strong vocal opinions'... (that they should keep to themselves).
I'm a Mod on another forum (not fishing related) - I'm very surprised the Mods here haven't intervened in some threads.

So now I have that off my chest... used to log-in every night, but now only once or twice a month (Some posts just wind me up...)
Thanks.

SM (and no PM's please! :evil: ) :cry:

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:54 am

Security man wrote: I'm very surprised the Mods here haven't intervened in some threads.

Some threads the mods have to work overtime on. Some slip the net entirely. C&R/C&K threads cause a lot of controversy, but I think it's reached the level now where everyone is aware of everyone else's opinion and harping on about it isn't accepted any more.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:10 am

Tanglerat wrote:
Security man wrote: I'm very surprised the Mods here haven't intervened in some threads.

Some threads the mods have to work overtime on. Some slip the net entirely. C&R/C&K threads cause a lot of controversy, but I think it's reached the level now where everyone is aware of everyone else's opinion and harping on about it isn't accepted any more.

It's not really any less either though in all fairness.

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:26 am

Security man wrote:That's the type of guys they should be after....

On the same subject but a different angle, I've given up posting on this site as its just so full of C.A.R politicians...
Poor old 'T-Bag' got a roasting a few months back, for landing a few Bass LEGALLY....
People in Glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I know several other people who have been 'bullied' or frightened off this site, afraid to post pics in case they get abuse.
Now maybe this is not the correct thread to bring this up, but it is an 'Opinion' and 'comment'.

I couldn't be bothered to elaborate any more or start an argument/debate - one only has to read down through various threads etc. to see exactly what I mean. These people spoil the pleasure of fishing for everyone else with their 'strong vocal opinions'... (that they should keep to themselves).
I'm a Mod on another forum (not fishing related) - I'm very surprised the Mods here haven't intervened in some threads.

So now I have that off my chest... used to log-in every night, but now only once or twice a month (Some posts just wind me up...)
Thanks.

SM (and no PM's please! :evil: ) :cry:

2 things id say to you is - look at tom1 reports with dead cod - no one is making any comments anymore about dead fish

its all gone taboo - cant say anthing anymore - for fear of frightening people off the site - no more opinions

secondly the C+R option in the template is gone for reports again - brush it under the carpet - now its gone

i suppose in here is the place for it - but - forgetting about it is not the way to go either if you ask me

at the end of the day - the trawler and the eurocrats are the real culprits

a cod is not just for eating...

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:40 am

This topic was split from [url=http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?t=14283]here[/url]

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:54 am

another thing i would say security man is that the thread on the cod in waterford went OTT in my opinion - not from the C+R people but far more from the catch and take side of the argument

where 4 or 5 were big upping themselves and noone with C+R opinions would respond as they were being baited in this way

name calling and trolling was clearly in play and the mods eventually got round to it closing ( admitadly they have a thankless job)

im not a HUGE C+R fan - i do appreciate the merits in it - but also respect anyones right to take - but dont accept its all the C+R disciples fault for people turning away being called a bunch of "women" is really constructive :roll:

a lot of this is common courtesy and web etiquite where we get to see peoples true colours in a heated debate

a lot of this behaviour would not be seen person to person and in a lot of cases we know absolutely nothing about each other

happy christmas

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:15 pm

it seems to me to have become a religion, there are those who strongly believe,there are the believers who practice once and a while, there are the believers but non practitioners, and then there are the non believers.

in todays day and age there seems to be a strong focus on catch and release, especially in angling clubs, there is also the common sense issue of if a fish is small, return it.

It is our right to encourage catch and release through the forum and clubs, but there is a limit, it is wrong to force something upon people regardless of who or where they are and what they catch, a person has the right to take a fish home for the pot, and it is up to the person who catches to fish to decide if it is to be released or taken,
only if the fish is undersized (especially in the case of the european bass) should we intervene and point out the benefit of C&R.

this is a topic that seems to divide people in the sport of fishing, why cant people accept the others beliefs and all get along. unite together as anglers and look towards the more serious problem of illegal fishing activities that are rampant around our coast. what one man takes in one day on rod and line is absolutely nothing compared to the fish that are slaughtered every hour by illegal fishing.

just me two cents worth
steve...

Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:43 pm

well said brian and steve

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:01 pm

I think the term "Catch and Release" has become very emotionally charged. A lot of people seem to use the term to to refer to a category of angler. This is a misuse of the term.

In my opinion, "Catch and Release" is not a philosophy but a practice. If you return any fish (alive) then you are practicing Catch and Release, regardless of your views about keeping fish in general. (In this sense, I would be willing to bet that every angler on this forum practices catch and release on occasions.)

Maybe it would be useful to separate the debate about how many (what size, what species, etc.) fish should be kept from the debate about whether Catch and Release is a good thing at all. It's a completely separate debate ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_and_release#Debate]see here[/url]).

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:08 pm

oh dear, just when things begin to quieten down a bit, the C&R debate rears its ugly head, obviously people have their own opinions and to be honest their entitled to them. its up to the individual as to whether they decide to keep their fish. me personally, i only keep the fish that wont make it and i think its safe to say that the majority here will return all fish below reasonable size.
for people like me who have never seen the golden age of angling when big fish where common place, observing images of dead bass are a bitter pill to swallow, but who am i to say its wrong. i didn't catch the fish and their certainly not braking the law.
when people begin to get bullied for doing nothing wrong other than keeping a couple for the pan, i think its a bit sad.

catch and release comments

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:45 pm

i personally catch and release a lot of fish, but the first couple decent fish i get go in the bag for the pot. anything after that i just throw back in, not because I'm a fan of c&r or anything. its just my way of fishing, a few for the pot & enjoy the rest of the day. if someone wants to take a few for the pot, so be it,its up to them, while others may only c&r and thats up to them.............. its everyman to his own!!!

Re: catch and release comments

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:12 am

fishermannum1 wrote:i personally catch and release a lot of fish, but the first couple decent fish i get go in the bag for the pot. anything after that i just throw back in, not because I'm a fan of c&r or anything. its just my way of fishing, a few for the pot & enjoy the rest of the day. if someone wants to take a few for the pot, so be it,its up to them, while others may only c&r and thats up to them.............. its everyman to his own!!!

i couldn't agree more well said.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:34 am

fishermannum1 wrote:i personally catch and release a lot of fish, but the first couple decent fish i get go in the bag for the pot. anything after that i just throw back in, not because I'm a fan of c&r or anything. its just my way of fishing, a few for the pot & enjoy the rest of the day. if someone wants to take a few for the pot, so be it,its up to them, while others may only c&r and thats up to them.............. its everyman to his own!!!

I'd broadly agree, it's the lecturing, and the attitude that anyone of any other viewpoint apart from pure C&R is wrong that I disagree strongly with.
If someone wants to take a pic of a fish in a kitchen when it's about to make tea....meh, look at sea angler this month, about 50% of the pics are in kitchens, so what?

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:10 am

This is exactly my opinion on it also.
I have returned countless fish. However I also took one big Bass recently, similar to what Tbag took - but he got roasted for it. So I was not going to post my pic and put myself in the firing line too!
But this is what I'm talking about - people are afraid to post, in case they 'upset' these people.

The bass I took was my first & only bass of the year - and god knows I spent enough money on bait & gear trying to catch it! - how can someone come on here and criticise (anyone) for doing the same? It shouldn't be tolerated. It was quite within the law.

I know I don't have much weight here as I'm only a newbie to the site, but I enjoy fishing as much as the next guy. I haven't read through every single thread, so I'm sorry if I have started a 'Cold-war' all over again... :oops:
But obviously it appears to be an issue on the site with some members.
I respect their judgment on C&R, so they should respect ours.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:23 am

newbie or not its irrelevant the fact of the matter is your entitled to your opinion and your entitled to to take home your catch, within the law its as simple as that IMHO.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:38 am

Security man wrote:I was not going to post my pic and put myself in the firing line too!

if you or anyone else feels that that are being targeted/attacked for any reason on the site please contact a mod or the admin, we will do our best to mediate.

Security man wrote:I know I don't have much weight here as I'm only a newbie to the site, but I enjoy fishing as much as the next guy.

noobie or not, you are a valid member to the site, as long as you follow the rules of that charter and contribute what you can, it will be very appreciated as it is what this forum is all about.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:07 am

i, hear where you are comming from but would point out that since my first post on this site( some called the c&r first world war :lol: )i have learned a lot about bass and must admitt from being a man who would have kept some fish that were edible and of a decent size i have read all sides of the argument now my attitude has changed ,i still keep some fish for the pot but am a lot more selective in the fish i keep as with all things we will always have extremists thats life :? but to censor anyone who is putting their two cents up here is wrong unless its abusive or obscene, hopefully users of the site can take the best from all views and make up their own minds . even i managed that :D

Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:38 pm

Thanks for the positive posts, guys. :wink:
(Feel a little better now.)

Why bother

Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:05 pm

If all you do is catch and release, you might as well take up scuba diving if you just want to look at fish.

Bass are delicious, but just one or two a year. At least eating it justifies the effort and expense.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:11 pm

:lol: you can just go to the shop if you want to eat one also!

tell me you dont get a kick out of figuring a new mark out - thats got to do with the catching regardless of what you do with the fish after