Illegal bass fishing

Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:47 pm

This might not make the news, but the South Western Fisheries Board apprehended a commercial fisherman this week landing approx. 150 bass in to Ballycotton. The net used was supposedly for pollack, and was - get this - 2.5 miles long! :evil:

Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:52 pm

imagine the amount of ghost fishing that would do if snagged - mental

illegal bass fishing

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:11 pm

they got him alright, but i wonder how many trips he had made before they got him, and how many others are at it. i would say quite a few. :twisted:

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:51 pm

certain seafood shops in galway are selling "unweighed items" on the label - that being irish bass and big big fillets

having no qualms in recommending the local stuff to punters

as opposed to plain old labeled bass, much smaller and farmed in greece

so id imagine a lot of it is going on!

Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:17 pm

you should report the shops in galway to western regional fisheries board.
treat it with urgency. :shock:

Ilegal Bass Fishing

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:26 pm

Lads. I have said this before, but I will say it again. If any IFSA member sees illegal Bass fishing going on, Do not hesitate to your club or provincial Conservation officer
Regards
Tim.

netting

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:18 pm

Those sonsoes from down that way have been at it for years and will continue to do so a the manpower just isn't there and also the crazy zoned areas looked after by the officers means that the sth west lads cannot pull nets that are at the endof the garryvoe stretch,they can only report them to the sth east guys,it h been rampant for years but at least theres one boat that won't be fishing for a while.Blame it on the odd local restaurant in the area who buy the fish from these gangsters,and thats official not my opinion,a fishery officer informed me last year to the actual extent of the problem down here :x :x :x :x :x :x

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:22 pm

Allegedly......... the boat apprehended is only one of THREE boats owned by the same company (mod edit, to clarify, These 3 boats are based in different ports as opposed to all based in Ballycotton), that have been Allegedly doing this for a long long time, exporting the fish to europe, they allegedly had 7 boxes of bass onboard, and its not the 1st time the same boat has allegedly been seen with unloading large amounts of Bass on Ballycotton pier.
Work it out.. 3 boats x 150 bass x 2 days a week "pollack" fishing, thats 45000 Bass a year... lets hope that the company involved has its books properly examined, and the correct and appropriate measures are taken to insure they never do it again.
it's quite simple, if you see this, or suspect this,inform the regional fisheries board and the gardai immediatley.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:11 am

why do ye think ppl. went to the bother of forming the I.B.P.A.G. ?
I.M.O. someone from/representing every sea angling club in the republic shoud write to the S.W.R.F.B. commerating them on there recent success.
i would supect that the bass were netted off the local beaches. clonea gets the rip every year in january same ppl./boats every yr. every beach on the south coast gets it at some time,
THERE ARE SEVERAL 100 TONS OF BASS NETTED ILLIGALEY EVERY YEAR, THE BIGGEST BUYERS OF SAME BASS IS ............ .... .... IN WATERFORD CITY, ...... IN SKIBBEREN, ECT. THEY EXPORT ALL FISH OVER 4LB. bass over 4lb. are worth £8/12 steirling in the u.k. that makes 1 box worth well over 1,000 euros. ...50 miles across the water from rosslare 1,000 EUROs A BOX........

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:44 am

Discussion about C&R on the forums split to a new topic [url=http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?t=14363]here[/url].