Salmon farm wiped out by jellyfish

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:43 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7106631.stm

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:57 am

Heard that on the news, it must have been an awesome sight.

Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:27 am

10 miles across by 35 feet deep! I'd say you almost could have walked across them!

Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:05 am

Excellent news! Now, if we could only train those jellyfish to invade all the other salmon farms around the coast... :)

Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:18 am

10 square miles 35ft deep - thats hard to even imagine - it must have taken time for that amount of jelly fish to arrive - how was it not seen coming!!!

even by satelites :shock:

salmon farm wiped out by jellyfish

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:41 pm

:lol: an they say jellyfish have no brains!!! well that was a smart move on their part, good for them,......see Tescos" have removed jellyed eels from their stores,an are starting a new range ( JELLYED SALMON ) yuck!! buy one get 100 free :wink:

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:50 pm

Great news Ive no sympathy for them.Its not exactly the most environmentally friendly method of rearing fish.What other business gets 40% grant aid towards costs?.Who really benefits from these farms? locals? or the owners of the cages?

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:11 pm

now we just need to train the jellyfish to attack trawlers!!!

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:15 pm

I, for one, would like to commiserate with the 12 guys, presumably some of them local, who have lost their jobs 4 weeks before christmas.

Caz-Galway

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:22 pm

I, for one, would like to commiserate with the 12 guys, presumably some of them local, who have lost their jobs 4 weeks before christmas.

Caz-Galway

I, for one, would like to commiserate with the hundreds of part and full-time workers who lost their jobs when wild sea trout stocks collapsed due to salmon farming.

The number of people employed in salmon farming in this country is less than the number who made a living from tourism angling in Connemara alone prior to the collapse.

Lets not forget either that without import tariffs, the salmon farming industry would not be able to compete with Norwegian or Chilean salmon. The industry is also supported artifically with grants, it could not survive as a commercial enterprise without government protection. All for the sake of literally, a handful of jobs. The employment promised when fish farming expanded in the 1980s never materialised, as farms became automated.

And thats not to mention the ecological impact of overfishing to feed these salmon :roll:

Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:08 pm

Not trying to get into a discussion on the right and wrongs of salmon farming. Just trying to point out the human side of the story as there is always more than one angle on any story like this. I have been laid off close to christmas in my past so I feel for these guys.

Caz

Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:57 pm

here here feel sorry for the salmon also being stung to death. hopefully this wont have a negative effect on the wild stock in the area i.e there will still be a demand for the salmon the farm would have produced so hopefully this demand isnt supplied by poaching etc - as according to the article they were high quality farmed salmon - if there is such a thing???

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:15 pm

samo wrote:hopefully this wont have a negative effect on the wild stock in the area

Are you mad samo? :shock: did you know about the plumes of sea-lice associated with salmon farms that are thirty thousand times more concentrated than in nature which cause harm to wild sea-trout 30 to 40 kilometers away?

Ban all salmon farms, I say!

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:22 pm

would this jelly fish attack have not on effect for wild fish stocks too, i am sure the jelly fish sting all species not just the farmed ones

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:28 pm

I'd imagine wild fish would clear off promptly on encountering the leading edge of the jellies - something the caged fish had no chance to do.

Re: salmon farm wiped out by jellyfish

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:49 pm

fishermannum1 wrote::lol: an they say jellyfish have no brains!!! well that was a smart move on their part, good for them,......see Tescos" have removed jellyed eels from their stores,an are starting a new range ( JELLYED SALMON ) yuck!! buy one get 100 free :wink:

is it not more a case of eels being scarcer these days rather than them being "removed"

and farmed is the cheapest meat to come by

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Tanglerat wrote:I'd imagine wild fish would clear off promptly on encountering the leading edge of the jellies - something the caged fish had no chance to do.

true, but what if that mass of jellyfish entered a lough, anything in said lough will be killed and the area would suffer, was also wondering what eats jellyfish, is the amount of the jelly increased because the fish that eat them arnt there anymore? scary thought, going fishing in the near future and all that there is to catch is jellyfish :!:

Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:59 pm

isint that the way the caspian is gone, no fish - huge jelly blooms - that are now salted and sold to the chinese :shock:

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:06 pm

MC wrote:anything in said lough will be killed and the area would suffer

id say anything that couldnt swim away would be killed.. everything else has a chance

Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:33 am

See JonBoys post on the blackfish washed up recently in inishowen....The beach that night was littered with jelly's....you could hardly stand up for them. and sum total of catch for the night was 1 small collie for 5 anglers.

I do believe though that we've had a mild novemeber. I think when the big winter storms move in it will break these shoals of jelly's up.

Or maybe just wishful thinking.