river cottage :gone angling

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:50 pm

channel four at 8 pm thursdays 3 episodes in all , its a mirical a new program one or two of us anglers may enjoy , it has to be better than the normal drivel on the box :D starts tommorow night the 8 nov.
dodger

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:58 pm

Looking foward to that, I love the River Cottage programmes.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:07 pm

at least that will be worth looking at

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:28 pm

From the Channel 4 website:

The health benefits of fish have been widely praised by nutritionists. Yet with fish stocks diminishing there's a crisis at sea. On a mission to discover alternative, delicious and sustainable seafood River Cottage is going fishing.

Hugh's fish fact-finding foray begins this week, in the Channel Islands.
Advertisement

Joined by fish expert Nick Fisher and skipper Pat Carling, Hugh sets sail from Weymouth to grapple with gurnard and garfish, sample alternatives to smoked salmon and go swimming with a shark.

In the Islands, Hugh experiences his first case of 'fish envy' as all three of them catch their dinner of pouting, served in the time-honoured egg and breadcrumbs tradition.

Before tackling what the islands have to offer fish wise, Hugh jumps aboard a Harley with a local biker to stock up on 'hedge-veg' before heading out to sea in search of Garfish.

Though this oily fish is an ideal alternative to mackerel, its green bones have put off some punters. But with a bit of local expertise, Nick turns them into a tasty dish.

Pouting, limpets and bream are other underrated fish that Hugh and the team tackle in this first leg of their journey and with dishes varying from smoked bass to deep fried anemone, it proves to be a voyage of discovery for all.

Looking forward to seeing this. I notice he'll be joined by Nick Fisher, did he have a fishing show years ago called Screaming Reels or am I getting him mixed up with someone else?

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:06 pm

Ye he did screaming reels.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:20 pm

they did a good program series a few weeks back on wild food, where they went fishing for eel,pike and flounder. im looking forward to this.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:45 pm

I have 4 or 5 of his books, great stuff, everything from how to butcher a whole cow to how to prepare a crab to what wild plants to eat.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:16 pm

Hopefully he'll do something on Wrasse. I cooked one the other day, first time to taste it and it was quite nice aswell, not as tough as I thought, very delicate like Pollock, be interesting to see how he would prepare them.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:19 am

Can't wait for this one, But I'm missing the first Episode due to other commitments, Gutted! :(

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:16 pm

never liked that nick fisher lad !! he hadn got a clue bout fishing !! saw him fishing the wall in monkstown for conger a couple years back !! i laughed solidly for the whole 25mins ! :lol: :evil:

Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 pm

Well whats your opinion :D
Thought it was a good enough programme with a few new ways of cooking fish . Liked the recipie for the stuffed mackrel . What did the rest of you think?

Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:05 pm

im sorry but garfish can only be described as manky :x apart from that it was brilliant, nice mullet by the way

Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:24 pm

garfish are deadly !! didnt agree with the mullet tho !! :evil:

Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:44 pm

Top show, really enjoyed it. See nothing wrong with eating mullet, the fish they caught were from open sea and are perfectly edible. I know I going to get a bit of stick for this but why not keep the odd one for the table, same as bass?

Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:44 pm

I thought it was good. The stuffed mackeral looked pretty nice. Limpets im not sure about.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:58 pm

Not a bad show really, thought they shaped badly on the boat though, 4 species against the shore lads :shock: :lol: you had to laugh at that Nick Fisher :lol:

Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:01 pm

A fine head of hair :D :D .

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:30 am

eric wrote:im sorry but garfish can only be described as manky :x apart from that it was brilliant, nice mullet by the way

dont knock garfish unless you've had it..

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:18 am

i have had it! for some reason i hate oily fish.

Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:52 am

Garfish is tasty out, very delicate... would love to try mullet and gurnard even...