Commercial Cockle Harvesting - Tramore

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:38 pm

A Co Ordinator for Coast Watch Ireland has asked me to inform all anglers to be on the look out for a suspected commercial hand raking operation in the Back Strand in Tramore. (Remember the Vacumn Dredging?). He said the information he had received suggests that the operation will be using non nationals and is due to begin next week, depending on the tide. When this same operation took place in Dundalk Bay the cockles were collected, taken ashore, weighed, transported away and the collectors were paid on the spot. As this is tide dependent and possibly will only happen in daylight it is an activity which should be very evident to anyone in the area of Saleens, Back Strand, Etc. Anyone who sees this activity taking place should report it through the website immediatly or send me a PM. I am reluctant to put names or numbers here but those interested in getting this stopped will make it their business to get in contact with any of the people who were involved a few weeks ago in having the Vacumn Dredging for Cockles in the same area halted. We must assume that this is Vacumn Dredging by another name. At this time this activity is illegal.