Spearfishing

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Anyone do it?
Just starting out. Gives a whole different look on things.
Just to set legal record straight. This is done with no tanks or scuba gear and as freediving under my own breath.
all that lost tackle presents new problems tho :shock:

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:15 pm

not sure of what the legalities are of spearfishing in this country..

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:09 pm

no general license needed to spear in Ireland
pneumatic guns needs firearm license
band guns are fine without
no spearing with scuba gear. under own breath (freediving) only
2 lobster per person per day
usual bass size regs

Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:37 pm

where would you find those regulations written?

who has the authority over it etc.

cheers for the info

Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:35 pm

a problem.....water distorts(refracts) things right?

well what if you shoot a bass that is just under the size limit when you thought it was over?

just a thought.

also i find it unsporting but that's just my opinion

Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:49 pm

i looked itnto this spear guns are a dicy subject it is illegal to sell them and posention is dicy as well while you can snorkall with them its illegal to cary one wtf if your caght with one in your carr for know valed reson ie on its own no swiming gear extra your in a lot of trobly ie caring a deadly wepon so use with cattion dont breing it to busy beaches and your fine

ps you have a pm

Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:57 pm

are you shure about the two lobsters thow hered that was a total no-no and as far as i know that its fround apon by the diving comunity fro usig scuba gear will get you kicked from your club thow it is still legal i think

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 pm

does it matter if the lobsters have the notch in the tail or not :?:

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:49 am

its a handy way to get a few flat fish alright, very hard to get a bass, the spear just bounces of their hard body

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:32 am

fishinmidget wrote:also i find it unsporting but that's just my opinion

It's only considered unsporting if you're diving with scuba gear.
Freediving and doing it is an art in itself and not at all unsporting, the fish is in it's own environment, you're the one who can't breathe.

Also it's hunting and you catch and release guys wouldn't understand it anyway.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:09 am

Last time I looked this was a sea angling site. What next a discussion on the best way to gil net.

Donagh

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:27 am

Obviously a very touchy subject for some

I have checked out all legalities and was curious if any were already doing it on the site.
If you think Bass are hard to come by then why not check out the galleries on spearo.co.uk or deeperblue.net forums although these are mostly southern England.
It is certainly fair game and relevant to the forum

Regarding Lobster size 89mm along carapace

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:09 am

cheers

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:19 am

sounds very interesting to me muck... would love to give it a bash

SPEARING

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:36 am

Hi
As far as im concerned if you go down with a speargun and no diving gear it is as much fishing as if you have a rod and reel as you are in the fishes enviorment.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:23 pm

Not so fun to do it here in uk...the fish not so big and aggrasive...the water is cold....unless u re doing it in tropic or NZ....then its gonna be another stories....

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:24 pm

I agree Croppyboy, sure isn't fishing just a six once lead and a big hook covered in yummy stuff. How sporting is that?

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:04 pm

Viper wrote:I agree Croppyboy, sure isn't fishing just a six once lead and a big hook covered in yummy stuff. How sporting is that?

Well surely the difference with spear fishing is that its setting out to deliberately kill fish.

C&R is not an option.
If you catch a fish on rod & line & it produces milt or eggs well you can put it back knowing that it is in breeding condition.
Different story after they've been impaled on a spear.

Nothing to do with angling in my opinion but that's just my opinion.

SPEARING

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:12 pm

what i mean is its not like gill netting were you kill everything if your spearing you usualy from what my mate tells me kill 1 fish for the plate surley there cant be anything wrong with that

Fair enough if you kill everything you see but who in there right mind would do that

My Mate take as much pleasure under the water as he does with his rod and reel he takes one for the pot when he fancys a fish he doesnt spear bass only mullet flounder etc

fintan

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:24 pm

EoinMag wrote:
fishinmidget wrote:also i find it unsporting but that's just my opinion

It's only considered unsporting if you're diving with scuba gear.
Freediving and doing it is an art in itself and not at all unsporting, the fish is in it's own environment, you're the one who can't breathe.

Also it's hunting and you catch and release guys wouldn't understand it anyway.

alright, you don't agree with my opinion. however i would be grateful if you don't put me into a group such as you said "you catch and release guys" to be honest you have no idea how many fish i kill or don't kill so you have no basis to put me in that group.

no one has answered my question about size limits. how are you to know if it is over the limit if it is underwater?