A disgrace...

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Was ouy fishing last night and was just finished up at a mark near the tramore rocks, meself and a friend dedcided to stop off at a pier just down the road for a few casts and inside the pier walls was about 20-30 dead/killed dogfish, what a disgrace, if people are caught dumping dogfish cant they get in trouble? or isn t there any law?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by James Barry on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:23 pm

Disgusting. :x

Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Absolute shame to see this kind of thing!
Imagine Joe Public and a couple of kids out walking and seeing this on a well used fishing spot! Not good press for Anglers. There are boats in this area too so they may of come out of nets, either way it looks bad.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:20 pm

(bycatch) they look like they caught in gillnets, which were prob. set for bass, as the mesh size would be the same,+ why would a comm. fisher put his nets were he knows he is goin to get dogs which will damage the nets, cos he knows he will get bass with them, we are just the same we fish knowing we will get dogs while after bass.

Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:09 pm

I was there with James that night and I can honestly say that I've never seen such a waste of animal life. The only "crime" these fish committed was being hungry and in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can't see why the fishermen can't make the effort to return these fish to the water. Dogfish are hardy enough and can survive a while out of water (as ye all know). And yes while anglers do have to go through dogfish to catch bass, we return (hopefully everyone does) them to the water, none the worse for wear. This is just an act of brutality from a narrow-minded prat. I sincerely hope the next time this fisherman is in their boat that they fall overboard and have to deal with the LSD's Blue Shark cousin

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:02 am

that pisses me off :evil: even some match anglers just chuck them bag after ripping their hooks out, i can't understand why some anglers treat them with such disrespect. treat a dogfish as would a bass they may win you a match some day. as for gill netters don't get me started :!:

Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:04 pm

I heard of a certain charter boat skipper in the North here who does this, believing it'll leave feeding for the 'better' fish (HELLO MATE, DOGGIES ARE FEEDING FOR THE 'BETTER' FISH). Having Proclaimed to one of my mates that he'd killed over 500 Dogfish over a span of time. Needless to say I won't be chartering his Boat!

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:56 pm

disgrace, sad to see that people do these things in my opinion

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:20 pm

read sumwhere before the test of a real man is how he treats a defenceless animal...doesnt say much for the coward that did this.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:20 pm

Utterly disgusting!! I would happily catch and release that many fish would class it as a good night. Maybe that is just me.

Jonny

a disgrace

Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:22 pm

a bloody disgrace :evil: have never in my life killed a dogie, have always returned them safely. there is days that i go out to fish for dogies for a days crack, an all are returned.seeing things like that gets right up my nose :evil: :evil:

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:50 pm

i have seen groups of dead dogs in the pier 3 times this summer while boat fishing ,they didnt even get washed out with the tide,ugly site for anyone,pointless

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:33 am

I was once fishing down in Knockadoon off the breakwater there and there were a pile of dogfish that the local fisherman had dumped. Whilst they weren't looking, I managed to revive a few of them, but most were past saving. Seemed like a senseless waste. I couldn't understand the mentality of that. :evil:

Should have had words with the fisherman, but I didn't - felt like Deliverance country as soon as I drove into the place - could almost have sworn I heard the banjos :lol:

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:45 pm

hi drew

[mod deletion: we know the issue, we know his actions are not illegal, we know they infuriate most sport anglers, let's leave it at that, thanks. To do otherwise is to give the oxygen of publicity to someone undeserving of it. Instead of berating him, why not praise another capable conservation minded skipper? Thanks]

A disgrace

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:12 am

:shock: hi hope this is not a another way round talking about the topic ....PRED;; FROM last week ? :shock: no one likes killing Doggies :shock:

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:35 pm

Ok so if we dont kill them how does everyone avoid/cut down on them ?
I fish a lot at anchor with rubby and yes Drew there are "better" fish out there m8 :D
If I am fishing turbot,rays etc I put down a second rod with 1 or 2 whole mackeral slashed up a bit,no hook,big weight.
I fish my baits 20 or 30 yrds farther back at least.
Yes I still get dogs but the constant banging of the other rod as most of them gorge on the big bait keeps the numbers down.
Oh yes and 3 times something v big moved off with it,last time a change to a big bait produced a 120lb common :D
The added advantage is that as the dogs tear up the macks they are producing more rubby for you and seding out "better" fish feeding noises.

REMEMBER: MAKE THOSE DOGS WORK FOR YOU,FEED THEM WELL :twisted:

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:55 pm

seems i cant win here no matter what i talk about any-one for tennis :roll:

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:56 pm

what does dog fish taste like or has anyonetried it

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:08 pm

i think they eat them down south i know the english boys eat them as i dont eat fish i couldnt tell you

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:24 pm

derek yeates wrote:what does dog fish taste like or has anyonetried it

Keep an eye out for Rock Salmon next time you're in the supermarket.:wink: