Using live fish as bait

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:41 pm

I was just reading the bait guide on the sea angling ireland website. It's rather misleading as it lists freshwater bye-law no.592 prohibiting the use of live fish as bait. This is a freshwater bye-law intended to stop the transfer of invasive species between freshwater systems. The law does not apply to sea fisheries. I'm unsure why these freshwater regulations are mentioned on a sea fishing website.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi
As far as i know you can use live bait ie live sand eel and joeys for bass
Not sure about during a comp though

fintan

Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:00 pm

On the same website under the 'other fish' bait section, it says to 'bear in mind that livebaiting is illegal'. I think some corrections need to be made.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:46 pm

Livebaiting is officially illegal to stop the spread of roach between lakes in Ireland, and from this, it now also applies to other freshwater fish to stop the speard of disease.
Unofficially it's become an animal cruilty issue, this is the crux of the misunderstanding.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:13 pm

Totally agree Viper.....

There is a lot of anglers that think that live baiting is illegal in fresh water because of cruelity issues..... This is not the case as mentioned above.

Live baiting is perfectly legal in salt water.... I've tried it a couple of times for Tope.

Kev

Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Absolutely. My point is that the website shouldn't be giving out false information. Anyone know who I can email to try and get the corrections made? Any luck with the livebaiting for tope Kev?

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:04 pm

Kieran did the bait guide, but that is the old html version you are referring to- pdf was updated with corrections (including removal of the regulations).
I put a link back to the html version as this is a web site (accessibility etc)
I'll have a look again when I get back after the weekend, and remove link to regs

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks for that jd. I can rest easy now!

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:47 pm

This should be fixed now- any other errors etc post on the web dev board.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:01 am

OK grand, I've just seen that the web dev board exists.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:15 am

No luck with the Live baiting for Tope..... yet, :wink: will be giving it a bash this coming winter when the Whiting shoals move in....

Kev

livebaiting

Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:13 am

use a collie on a big hook flapper seems to work