NETTING BLONDE RAY IN CORK HARBOUR

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:57 pm

Two weeks ago a commercial boat man netted the Turbot Bank in Cork harbour taking a large amount of blonde ray some with C.F.B. tags attached.

This area of Cork harbour is about the size of an average football pitch.

On Cork local radio this morning,96FM the "Opinion Line", this issue was highlighted and will be delt with in more detail tomorrow.

I'm calling on site members to email 96FM "THE OPINION LINE" and express your views. on this subject. Please keep it legal. The more input into this the better.

This program can be heard live on the web details can be found on their site

http://www.96fm.ie/sitemap.asp

Re: NETTING BLONDE RAY IN CORK HARBOUR

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:24 pm

donal domeney wrote:Two weeks ago a commercial boat man netted the Turbot Bank in Cork harbour taking a large amount of blonde ray some with C.F.B. tags attached.

Hi Donal,

I just heard about the program a little earlier so I missed it :cry:

A word of caution !!!!!!!!!!

Be very careful about making allegations about this being Illegal etc,
because If the boat is licensed it is not!!!!

If anglers rush in making inaccurate statements you could see several boats out there to settle a score or prove a point.

From what I have been told this netting was caused in the first place because of some anglers photographing and threatening a commercial boat in another area of the harbour.

If this is indeed the case I think you can see a real need for caution before you act.

Jim

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:25 pm

Crossed posts there Jim... All Donal is asking people to do is to voice there opinions on what was done, as anglers, and put our thoughts and views across. If anyone emailing 96fm in relation to this matter could focus their points on the economic impact that destroying an asset such as this will have on local businesses dependent on angling and tourism as opposed to the few quid raised by a commercial guy then maybe this will be picked up on and acted upon by the powers that be.

Keep it legal, keep it to the point and leave allegations and the like to one side. Focus on the value this resource was to the area and how detrimental these actions could be.

I'm locking this thread down as I dont want it to develop further. You heard the man, get those emails in this evening and lets put forward our views, strongly and preferably without rancour that may incite further damage.

Email address is neil@96fm.ie You can listen to the show online tomorrow.
Last edited by petekd on Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.