Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:20 pm

Hi everyone,
Im new to these boards but have been
fishing a few years now. Although ive
had some good catches in that time
the general concensus from more experienced
anglers, is that things used to be a whole lot
better. Now this makes me kinda jealous, but also
pretty mad that things have been let get so bad.

What im wondering is if there is anyone on here
actively involved in trying to establish marine reserves?
If there is then i would really like to help in anyway
I can. If there isnt then id be very interested in trying
to get some kind of pressure group going.
Thanks
phishfood

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:05 am

If any pressure group goes to the bother and trouble of managing to establish a marine reserve, what's the betting that angling would still be allowed in it?

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:50 am

Quite good. Lough Hyne in West Cork is a marine reserve and fishing is allowed. There is provision in the legislation that, despite permission being required for most activities such as SCUBA diving and the removal of fauna, angling and taking fish fish caught while angling are allowed. Here are the words from the document-'The provisions of paragraph (1) of this Regulation shall not apply to fishing in the reserve by means of a rod and line or by means of a handline to which, in either case, there are affixed not more than six hooks nor shall the said provisions apply to fish caught by means of such a rod and line or handline.'

Ed.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:00 pm

even if we are not allowed to fish a reserve, it still has benefits the fish will grow breed and start to move out to surrounding areas giving more and bigger catches for all

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:21 am

I definetly feel we (sea anglers) really need to consider and indeed act in some manner in order to put the wheels in motion that might see the setting aside of certain nursery/broodstock zones as safehavens for all the marine species there. We all know areas in our own locality that would fit the bill.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:05 am

i for one would have no problem with marine reserves that have total protection within it, ie no forms of fishing allowed, because it would only benefit the angling community in the long run.. if fish are left to spawn in a protected area completly un touched the results of the spawn will breed more fish that will spread from the reserve and would obviously be available to anglers elsewhere.

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:31 am

What i had in mind would be modeled
on the New Zealand reserves which prohibit
angling aswell. As pete and nialler said,
we will benefit in the long run

http://www.marine-reserves.org.nz/pages/marine.html
This website gives a great overview of how
these reserves have been implemented and what
they have achieved. Sorry if it doesnt work as
a hyperlink.

There is also anecdotal evidence of how the commercial
fishermen active in such areas have gone from being openly
hostile, to strong proponents of conservation.
This is what we need to achieve here!

This forum seems to be the most active group
of Irish anglers online. Do people think it
could work as a platform for action?

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:52 am

To try and get areas set aside would be a mammoth task, especially as anglers tend to be a fairly disorganised bunch at best. Still look at what our cousins in the game angling fraternity achieved :idea:

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:52 pm

I really don't think that it is angling community that would hold up that kind of change..

who would enforce this ban?

Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:46 pm

That depends Bob, if a bye law was introduced under the fisheries regs then it would be the Sea Fishery Protection Authority. If it was under the Habitats Directive(although I'm not sure a precedent has been set for reserves under this particular directive, maybe i'm wrong) then the onus would fall on the National Parks & Wildlife. As far as I know our local councils have very little control over matters below the mean high water mark.

Nice link that phisfood

Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:35 pm

There is legislation for Special Areas of Conservation marine areas. The Shannon Estuary is only one as far as I'm aware and is designated as such due to the resident sea mamal population. I don't know what this means or how much area it covers but it doesn't seem to stop comericial netting in the lower estuary. Anyone know what it means?

Donagh

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:26 am

Unfortunately the Special Area of Conservation
tag does not provide much protection as far as
I know. I talked to a marine biologist who was
involved with the marine reserve at Loch Hyne
in West Cork but only in passing so i am not
sure what protection it has and who enforces it.
Sonaghan said u can still fish there. i think
a reserve should mean giving that up.

Pete: good point bout the game anglers, they
really have achieved something that ten years
ago im sure seemed impossible, that is gettin the drift
nets banned. As sea anglers we should be able
to do the same. We should also be able to enlist
the support of commercial fishermen aswell.
Its in their own interest.

Do any of you have particular sites they would
like to put forward? My suggestion for my area would
be an area around Inismurray. Central to the whole
of Donegal Bay it would have maximum impact but
it might be hard to get the charter skippers onboard