Disgusted as usual

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:35 pm

This has probably been discussed before but here's my piece anyway. Every year I see it and every year I'm equally horrified. People leaving behind bags and sometimes mounds of mackerel that they've caught while in some sort of blood lust. Perhaps a poster similar to the bass regulation one could be implemented, encouraging responsible fishing and only killing fish that are needed. Perhaps if people are made aware, they may think twice. Or is this wishful thinking?

Ed

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:04 pm

why would people even look at such a sign,
tues night an angler friend of mine approached another angler fishing on ring beach in east cork, he had caught and kept 4 bass under 12" in what is known as a Bass nursery area, it was pointed out quite forcibly the rules sizes and regulations to this angler.....
the following night my friend met the same angler on the beach and he had 6 bass in his bag all under 12"
what do you do ?
about time that some contact details were listed on this site to report these type of things....................................

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:13 pm

So wishful thinking then. At least catching undersized bass is illegal, and theoretically could be dealt with through legal channels, assuming you knew who to contact. What law protects the mackerel?

Ed.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:45 pm

Dave Jolly wrote:why would people even look at such a sign,
tues night an angler friend of mine approached another angler fishing on ring beach in east cork, he had caught and kept 4 bass under 12" in what is known as a Bass nursery area, it was pointed out quite forcibly the rules sizes and regulations to this angler.....
the following night my friend met the same angler on the beach and he had 6 bass in his bag all under 12"
what do you do ?
about time that some contact details were listed on this site to report these type of things....................................

they are listed on the site - http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... hp?t=10713

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Ill tell you what annoys me when im fishing and i see it all the time,empty bags left lying,discarded line,half used bait left to rot,beer cans lying on the floor,general rubbish (ie: crisp bags,foil,biscuit wrappers,)etc etc. Dont people know how to use rubbish bins anymore? or if there isnt none
TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME!!!!!!! we say this time and time again and still people ignore it.
i was in Ballintoy last week walking around the harbour and i went round picking up fishing line (loads of it) and beer tins that someone had just chucked on the floor,and even the life ring was chucked in the harbour,so i pulled that back in and put it where it belonged,why do fishermen do this?

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:13 pm

i would like to correct you carlbfast. you refer to the people as "fishermen" and i dont think they deserve to be called this. they are just scumbags. no true fisherman would do things like what you mention.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:19 pm

here,here

Disgusted as usual

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Hi all just adding my two-ha-pence worth. It seems to me that anglers and fisherman differ completely you never see an angler damaging his sport where as a fisherman is only there for what he or she can take

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:14 am

As nige suggested, you need to contact the regional fisheries board for the relevant area. There's a list of the boards, numbers, websites and the coastal regions they cover on the Irish Bass website:

http://www.irishbass.org/index.php?opti ... 3&Itemid=0

Occasionally it's possible to obtain a mobile number for your local fisheries board officer. This is a useful number to have for reporting incidents, particularly nets, etc.

All you can do is pester the boards and "encourage" naive anglers to fish more responsibly.

Are these so-called anglers aware that, despite Irelands great bass fishing, our bass stocks are extremely low compared with the 1960s, 70s and even 80s?