Thresher Shark

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone saw the story on the Sky News website about the fella from Scarborough who caught a 16ft Thresher? The first thing they did was kill it and haul it aboard. He sold it for £210. Apparently i's the first one caught off Yorkshire for 80 years. Shame

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:13 pm

very progressive - for £210 :roll:

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:15 pm

I just found it amazing, he's there with his mates posing for pics all happy. I don't know how old a Thresher would have to be to be that size, but there's no way it's a young one. That probably means that it's able to breed. Makes me a bit annoyed that to be honest.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:23 pm

Sad and all as it is to see, I dont suppose you can blame a skipper for taking a couple of hundred quid for the fish. The guys fishing for a living and £210 isnt to be sniffed at. It certainly beats that pitiful few pound that huge tope went for recently. Would have been nice if it had been released but thats the nature of the game these lads are in.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:39 pm

Hard to tell if he actually could have released it to be honest. Just re-read the article and he mentions that it was caught up in the nets

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:26 am

Read about that fish too, terrible waste. Mad thing about it was that it was caught in an estuary in around 16ft of water. :shock: