Bass Regulations and Bye-Law re-introduced

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 am

Minister Ryan has replaced the Bass (Restriction on Sale) Regulations and Bass Conservation Bye-Law. In a change from previous years, these measures have this year been introduced indefinitely and will no longer need to be renewed on an annual basis.

The effect of the Bass (Restriction on Sale) Regulations (S.I. No. 367 of 2007) is to "prohibit the sale or offer for sale of bass (other than bass which has been imported into the State)".

The effect of the Bass Conservation Bye-Law is to "impose a bag limit on anglers of two bass in any one period of 24 hours and to provide for a ban on angling for bass during the spawning season (15 May, 2007 to 15 June, 2007 each year)"

A third statutory instrument -- the Bass (Concervation of Stocks) Regulations (S.I. No 230 of 2006) was given indefinite status last year and did not need to be re-introduced. The effect of these regulations is to "to prohibit fishing for, landing, transhipping or having on board bass by an Irish sea-fishing boat and to prohibit the use of nets". These Regulations also set the minimum landing size for bass at 40cm.

I discussed the change to the Restriction on Sale Regulations and Conservation Bye-Law with a representative of the Department a couple of weeks ago. The decision to give the statutory instruments indefinite status was based on scientific recommendations which have not changed in 17 years. The regulations and bye-law will continue to be reviewed periodically.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:28 am

Is that Minister Eamon Ryan?
Is there any word on pushing the size limit up to 45cm?
There was mention in a letter to TSF about Ireland increasing the closed season for bass. Though they also gave the incorrect size limit for bass so I don't trust the information.

Donagh

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:17 am

Am I correct in the assumption that our minimum size for bass has actually been reduced over recent years. My understanding was the original minimum was 400mm between snout and fork of tail.
Because of normal measuring practices in competition, the minimum size (IFSA) was taken as 430mm between snout and tip of tail.
Because of confusion, the minimum size is now set as 400mm between snout and tip of tail, a reduction in size in recent years. :|

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:50 am

Donagh wrote:Is that Minister Eamon Ryan?

Yes. I assume the functions still have to transfer to Agriculture. I heard about this about two weeks ago so it seems that the decision was made a while back and just needed to be runner stamped.

Donagh wrote:Is there any word on pushing the size limit up to 45cm?

Haven't heard anything. I know this is being sought in the UK but I haven't heard anything here, apart from people calling for it on forums, etc.

Donagh wrote:There was mention in a letter to TSF about Ireland increasing the closed season for bass. Though they also gave the incorrect size limit for bass so I don't trust the information.

Haven't heard anything about the closed season either. Again, maybe just individuals calling for it?

The impression I got from the official I spoke to was very much along the lines of "steady as she goes".

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:59 am

Jim from Cork wrote:Am I correct in the assumption that our minimum size for bass has actually been reduced over recent years. My understanding was the original minimum was 400mm between snout and fork of tail.
Because of normal measuring practices in competition, the minimum size (IFSA) was taken as 430mm between snout and tip of tail.
Because of confusion, the minimum size is now set as 400mm between snout and tip of tail, a reduction in size in recent years. :|

As far as I know, the legal minimum has always been 400mm from nose to end of tail. Here's the relevant paragraph from 1990:

No person shall, within the State, have in possession bass of size less than 40 centimetres measured from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail.

I do remember some issue re fork/tip of tail going back some years, but I can't remember the details.

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:09 am

With all the current difficulties with our stocks it's a positive step to see the bye-law being made permanent

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:23 am

pete wrote:With all the current difficulties with our stocks it's a positive step to see the bye-law being made permanent

If only! There's a difference between "permanent" and "indefinite" but we'll take what we can get :D