Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:31 pm

Always good to see the fish go back in.. Nice picture! ;-)

Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:04 pm

i totally agree with your policy's

Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:31 pm

for some reason his post annoys me...not its content but the way it worded. i am a long time angler and fully support c&r. but a post like this is just short of saying ' the best way not to stress a caught fish is to not fish for him in the first place ' just my opinion. like every responsible angler on this site these policies are already in use.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:25 pm

gboy,

I don't think there is any need to take offense at Jim's post, it clearly wasn't directed at you or any of the members on this sight. The point I take out of it is this one...many, many anglers from other countries visit this site, countries that either have no need to conserve or have no sense to conserve their fish stock (like us 10 years ago) if one or two of them take up on Jim's post then it has been worth it IMHO.

The only think I would add to Jim's post would be IMHO a double hook (twin) is a far better hook on lures than a treble, far easier to remove (barb or no barb).

Tom.

CPR

Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:37 pm

like many posts on this site, misinterpretation can easily happen. this list of C+R policies is not directed at any person/s in particular using site. i'm sure as GB says, responsible anglers practice these and, as RH has valuably pointed out, many other good C+R practices, double hook noted RH.

the fact remains that many anglers do not for many and various reasons. so any little information can help maybe even 'irresponsibel anglers' which cant be a bad thing!

this is not a rant about C+R (before anyone gets a bee in their bonnet) customers here keep fish to eat when they return from a session on a regular basis.

I would find it difficult to attract customers to Ireland if catching fish wasnt an option, fact is i want those and other customers back next year to catch the same healthy fish. so i ask them to return as many as possible - carefeully! This is as much as for themselves as for any other recreational angler, responsible or not, either to enjoy eating or simply returning...and please dont go mentioning the poachers or i really will get upset.

best
Jim

Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:54 pm

gitboy wrote:for some reason his post annoys me...not its content but the way it worded. i am a long time angler and fully support c&r. but a post like this is just short of saying ' the best way not to stress a caught fish is to not fish for him in the first place ' just my opinion. like every responsible angler on this site these policies are already in use.

Actually, I found the post very useful. If you're going to return fish, this is how it should be done. There are probably lots of anglers out there returning fish but not necessarily doing all they can to minimise damage. (I include myself among them.)

I've started changing how I fish and how I handle fish, probably at the expense of some lost fish. Small things like not using a landing net, lifting fish out of shallow water, rather then dragging them up the beach, crushing barbs on treble hooks, etc.

I would guess only a minority of anglers actually employ these measures at the moment.

Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:05 pm

i cant see how this could be seen to be offensive, what i see is a poat explaining the most effective way of maximizing a fishes chance of survival if it is to be released

Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:16 pm

i can see this is going to be a popular one :roll:

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:46 am

jim fair play to you for promoting c&R. your posts are very infomative. but i found this post rather preachy than a concerned angler given his opinion on how best to c&r. keep up the good work.

CPR - catch photo return

Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:16 pm

GB never intended to be 'preachy' just waving a flag amidst all the catching.

best
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:16 pm

I am in favour of bass conservation, but ordering people about is going to annoy them and make them do the opposite if anything.

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:33 pm

Guys....making a mountain out of a Mole hill....I never took it as ordering, everyone knows Jim for what he does as an angler...he is IMHO an expert in his field. Isnt that what forums like this are for....to make posts to "lesser mortals" if Jim was sayng something to increase someones catch rate, there wouldnt be half said about it......I really dont know what all the fuss is about....not like he is saying anything thats not been said before...so he opened a thread on it....again I say...it did not offend me in any way.

Now if he was telling me to wear the same trousers he is wearing in the picture.......phewwwww :evil:

Tom.

CPR - catch photo return

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:10 pm

Responsible or seasoned anglers who would read this post, view it as a heads up, nod and pass it by, and some maybe might add something to the list (good)- other anglers might read it and say to themselves, mmmm maybe theres something here that i can do, others will dismiss it out of hand too (fine)

It jTo those who find it preachy, biblical, didactic or otherwise then thats your problem, personal interpretation or other issue.

its just a reminder of a list of good C+R policies - nothing else.

would you prefer if i put the word please in front of the sentences?

RH leave those waders out this - i had to watch them for a week.....

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Nice 1 Jim, The facts stand out, thats important when trying to get a message across...and there is something there that i can work on myself :D cheers

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:42 pm

personnally i say "nice one jimh", i am new to shore fishing and think advice like this is invaluable to a novice angler like me, conservation tips like this will make the difference to the next generation of anglers as well

:D :D

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:45 pm

Moved the discussion re best practice for CPR

Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:24 pm

well done on the post Jim i agree with you and would like to see the same approach for all the fish that anglers intend to release and if fish are to be kept for the pot then dispatch them quickly please

Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:48 pm

i think if you look at the post again theirs no orders or condecending tone, to me its a list of guidelines to the most effective and benificial means of c&r. no where in the list does it say you have to release the fish...well done jim, hopefully this will ensure better survival of fish

just one other point, from reading some mags and forums from the usa apparently holding fish (generally bass) with your thumb and forefinger in the mouth as is often seen in pics strains the tempomandibular joint (jaw), especially the muscles and ligaments in the area often leading to the fish becoming unable to feed and possibly mortality..best to support the heab in one hand and the tail in the other, maximizing the support to the fish...the same can be said about holding the fish by the gills

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:18 pm

Jim...where can i get those plug singles???I used to used the same type of hooks by gamakatsu(gamakatsu trout plug hook),try to look for it here and in the net but cant find one.One of the best hook i ever used.....a lot more reliable than treble and double.Just crush the barb and u re ready to go.

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:43 am

jim,

i see one of the mods has edited my prevoius post as it was offensive. I hope you will accept my apologies as it was out of order.

i was trying to suggest that the best way to persuade peolple was to bring them along with you, which i guess is what you were trying to do

john