about success rates

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:40 pm

been thinkin, again :o about success rates while lure fishin.
E.G. over several sessions i encountered 24 bass landed 14 lost 3 and seen 7 others follow i probably covered/scared many more that i knew nothing about.
1.., 6 of the 7 would have taken if they hadnt seen me the 7th. just followed the lure for a bit. :?: how many of the 6 would i have got if i had been wearing more appropriate clothing, as in rock cammo.? think i would have got a cupple at least maybe even 5 or 6 which would make a big difference on a poor day.. :P last yr. i seen good few hundred that turned away because they seen me
2...i had 12 bass and 6 follows on the same lure a kilty, tryed other lures/plugs :P is there any overall better lure that the kilty??...not yet....
3..lost 2 and had 2 other hits, changed to a bigger hook and lost 1, my fault :oops:
i have stopped thinkin now :)

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:54 am

well it has worked for the carp guys. i have been to withinn a few feet of big carp and they dont even know i am there.

a couple of other things are...

1: Keep low. even if you are wearing camo, you want to blend in, not be above the skyline.

2: if it is bright(and somtimes even if its not) having a rod with a matt finish helps. the fish can see the flash of a shiny rod just as well as we can.

i know camo works for carp and trout and salmon but i dont know of anyone who uses it for the sea. i dont see why it shouldnt work though.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:22 pm

I think you might be onto to something there Art. I've had some very frustrating sessions where Bass have been following the lure nearly every other cast and I have not caught :oops: I put this down to the fact that I use Briad straight through and perhaps the fish can see the line. I have promised myself this year I will start using flurocarbon leaders.... 8), especially in clear calm water.

As Alex mentioned I would always try keep a low profile on the calmer days.

I think fish in the sea are a little more prone to this type of behaviour, as there is a high amount of predatation and as such they never relax and feed like Carp do. Having said that though, when Bass are feeding hard, you will catch them on anything.

Just my 2c

Kev

Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:35 pm

Just curious...how do you lost the fish??Is it the hook??The big question here....not only here but its happen all over the world and to all other species that can be catch by lure....why they just following the lure and didn't whack it??

Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:35 pm

i have had these follows when flyfishing as well and one thing i have found works is to put on a totally rediculous looking fly, usually an orange or chartreause deciever...and have had them take it savagely. not certain why but possibly through curiosity in seeing something completely out of the ordinary in their terratory...