Sea Fisheries in the New Cabinet

Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:56 pm

The responsibility for Sea Fisheries has been transferred to the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (from the former Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources).

Responsibility for the Marine has been transferred to the Department of Transport.

The Minister we all need to start writing to is Mary Coghlan.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:31 am

I noticed that last night. I presume the reason for the change is the greens now have this department and they wouldn't be friendly towards the commercial fishing industry.

Donagh

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:44 am

Mary Coughlin is from (near?) Donegal town. Pat the Cope was moved out of the junior misnistry previously because of the pressure he was under locally on fisheries issues (especially the drift net issue)
jd
Last edited by jd on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 am

I think it's a very negative move for fisheries to become more associated with agriculture. What message does that send to people interested in developing the recreational fishery?

I assume this now means that the Central and Regional Fisheries Boards are now also the responsibility of the Department of Agriculture.

If anyone wants to write to a minister, can I suggest writing to Seamus Brennan who is now responsible for tourism, as well as Mary Coughlan. I've found Seamus Brennan quite receptive in the past (although I was in his constituency at the time).

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:18 am

I'm not sure why I was quoted. I wouldn't be a supporter of the the greens but as regards angling, despite what some might think, I believe they will be friendly towards angling. This has been backed up so far by their Dail record.

As regards who to write to, I'm sure there will be a junior ministry for fisheries, so we should wait untill these are handed out.

Donagh
Last edited by Donagh on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:22 am

Donagh wrote:I'm not sure why I was quoted.
Donagh

Sorry about that Donagh- I was going to make another point but something came up here (work!) - post edited
jd

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:26 pm

As Mary Coughlan is in charge of Agriculture and fisheries does this make her the minister of surf and Turf : :lol: ?

Junior minister will almost certainly be John Browne again

caz

Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:42 am

John Browne confirmed as Junior Minister for Fisheries.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:40 am

jd wrote:Mary Coughlin is from (near?) Donegal town. Pat the Cope was moved out of the junior misnistry previously because of the pressure he was under locally on fisheries issues (especially the drift net issue)
jd

Pat the d**e asked to be moved out of Marine because he had dragged his heels on implementing fisheries legislation and Noel Dempsey had to do it himself - led to quite a bit of bad blood between them I believe.
Mary Coughlan is from Inver, a fishing village about halfway between Donegal Town and Killybegs - I'd say she will be as bad as Gallagher when it comes to coming down hard on fishermen - she's not going to risk any votes.

teacher wrote:I assume this now means that the Central and Regional Fisheries Boards are now also the responsibility of the Department of Agriculture.

Actually even the civil servants that deal with inland fisheries don't know themselves, so they can't tell us. No one knows if we've been lumped in with sea fisheries, left in Marine (which went to transport), or left in with Natural Resources in the original dept.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:45 am

LOL, I can't believe d0pe is on the swear list! :lol: :lol:

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:07 am

"Lumped in with sea fisheries".......if your lucky :lol:, Department of Foreign Affairs would be more appropriate on the amount of oversea's tradeshows you attend :roll: :lol:

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:11 am

There is an ongoing joke in Wexford that John Browne is the Minister for Funerals.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:12 am

I've been trying to track down the people responsible for the Bass legislation. Nobody seems to know. I tried the new SFPA. Couldn't reach a single person there. It was all answering machines or phones ringing out.

I'm going to follow the Arts, Sport and Tourism route. I think I'll make more progress there.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:28 am

pete wrote:"Lumped in with sea fisheries".......if your lucky :lol:, Department of Foreign Affairs would be more appropriate on the amount of oversea's tradeshows you attend :roll: :lol:

Just doing my bit for the country! :lol:
2 a year is hardly a lot of foreign trips!!

Please God we're not stuck with sea fisheries.............. :P

Dept of Social Welfare should be your home, the amount of time you'll spend twiddling your thumbs and watching Judge Judy... :lol:

Mary Coughlan

Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:20 pm

As a point of interest the guy who inventor the modern whaling harpoon was from Inver, Co. Donegal. Maybe Mary will harpoon us with the much expected license for sea angling.