rod licence petition

Sun May 27, 2007 7:08 pm

here is a link for the lads and ladies in the north of the country as you need a uk address to sign this petition,

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/anglers/.

Tue May 29, 2007 2:59 am

thats just silly i would not mined paing one if they actully done any thing for sea anglers
but they dont
im shure if it passes in the uk ireland will follow

Tue May 29, 2007 10:02 am

Not a chance Donal. Remember what happened when they tried to introduce a rod licence for trout anglers..... :shock:

Tue May 29, 2007 5:54 pm

well at the moment i am against it as it seems like its to pay for mismanagement ,ie pay off the comericals and until the government can come though on their promises and the shore fishing starts to improve and there is protected zones, even if we cant fish them, then i may pay for one but until then i refuse to

Tue May 29, 2007 11:08 pm

MC wrote:well at the moment i am against it as it seems like its to pay for mismanagement ,ie pay off the comericals and until the government can come though on their promises and the shore fishing starts to improve and there is protected zones, even if we cant fish them, then i may pay for one but until then i refuse to

ditto

Wed May 30, 2007 2:05 pm

signed

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:44 pm

Seems that the guys in the North have not a lot to fear from the introduction of a sea angling licence!

See:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ni/?id=20 ... ing#g5.133

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:33 pm

lots of coverage given to the license issue in this month's Sea Angler, pretty much everyone polled was against it, largely because they thought the money wouldn't be used to improve recreational angling in any way, but interestingly most of the anglers surveyed seemed to think that a £25 license would be justifiable if it led to establishment of marine reserves, better control of commercials etc. The mag is also organising a petition on the issue.

I think recreational anglers paying to police the rampant disregard of the commercials is a bit arseways, but if paying for a license ensured a better fishing environment I might be persuaded ... that said i have no faith in the irish governments ability or will to enforce any law (except speeding on empty dual carriageways).

Seems the idea of licensing is gathering momentum in the uk, and if it happens there it could well follow on here in short order, it might also give us the means of organising a national lobby on angling issues.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:40 pm

Consider it signed.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi,

Why can't petitions like this be drawn up and available on the boards for issues like the likes of the tangle netting that went on in Cork Harbour? If all members here signed and our minister "junk" mailed we might at the very least raise awareness levels if nothing else?

Liam

Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:52 pm

Liamo wrote:Hi,

Why can't petitions like this be drawn up and available on the boards for issues like the likes of the tangle netting that went on in Cork Harbour? If all members here signed and our minister "junk" mailed we might at the very least raise awareness levels if nothing else?

Liam

Mainly I think Liamo is because they are a feature of the UK. Imagine the chaos here in the Republic if we started telling the politicos what we really thought and wanted.... :shock:

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:12 am

Tanglerat,

Imagine the chaos here in the Republic if we started telling the politicos what we really thought and wanted....

Can you imagine!!! That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done though. I had a look at that online petition in the link above and it would be so easy to do. Rather than pass it off as "yera sure this would never work in this country..." would people be willing to try it?

Liam

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:49 am

why not! it might get something done - we are all not developers...

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:58 pm

The uk government have setup a website for petitions, it's all window dressing from what I can see, gives people a place to "voice" their opinion, but when you get polls like the one about the mosque being built in London on there where supposedly tax payers money was being used to build a large mosque, it's one of the best subscribed petitions there, but it's based on a false premise, it's Saudi money being used, not tax payers money.
Point is if that's one of the better subscribed why would they bother looking at it for real issues?

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:17 am

In fairness I think most of the online petitions are a totally cynical political ploy in the UK, pure lip service to the online generation to make people think polititians are listening, i very much doubt they have any influence.

I would be far better for each of us to email a different TD every week with our concerns.

The only way I can see us anglers having any influence is if the tourism industry, tackle shops, and equipment manufacturers get involved as they can afford to pay for the PR needed to keep the issue in the face of the gobshites in leinster house. An economic argument will always get more credence (as proven by the commercial sector many times over).

I wonder if we could ever get Dempsey to post his answers / opinions on here, like Bradshaw did recently for TSF, now that would be interesting.