Funny looking Bass

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:18 pm

Maybe someone with a working knowledge of Marine Biology could shed some light on this ...

[img]http://www.glaucus.org.uk/bass-blunt-DW.jpg[/img]

More information here:

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Bass-2.htm

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:42 pm

is it possible for a bass and gilthead or other bream to crossbreed?

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:48 pm

The fish was 4.5kg. Assuming a growth rate similar to bass, which might be slightly warmer around guernsey, that fish is probably over 15 years old.

I would have thought that the different head structure (smaller mouth, upwards inclination) would have made it difficult for the fish to feed in the same way as normal Bass ...

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:15 pm

maybe its fed up with the bass size laws in the UK, well it looks as though it was banging its head against a brick wall :lol:

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:50 pm

very interesting if this is a hybrid with another species! just think if it was a hybrid with a faster growing, more populated species.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:55 pm

well it is a big ocean... whether its a hybrid, sub-species or swam in to a pier wall too many times.... it's still an ugly bugger... probably got hit with the ugly stick once too often :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:32 pm

it does seem most likely to be a hybrid. i mean, if you look at the pectoral it is very long and sharp isn't it? very interesting
Last edited by fishinmidget on Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:38 pm

believe it or not MC you are right !! there was an article in a magazine not so long ago !! and it said it happens to bass whilst in a feeding frenzy around harbours , rocks etc... !! if it happen !! thats the picture that was featured in the article !!!!

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:44 pm

U talking about TSF boyice? i saw that article but it dosent explain the long sharp pectoral fin.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:49 pm

we could just be looking at the pectoral fin at a funny angle !!!!

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:51 pm

i didnt think of that :oops:

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:15 pm

but would its head be so out of proportion from banginging into a rock? it looks like a completely different fish's head on a bass body.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:07 am

Not a hybrid, just an ugly bugger. All species of fish have the odd deformed specimen, its just genetics... I'm sure if you took photos of all the users of this site you might come up with some really handsome specimens :lol:

Bass are extremely unlikely to cross-breed/hybridise with a species of bream, they are too far apart in evolutionary terms for it to work, it would be like humans cross-breeding with howler monkeys... although I can think of a few examples who might put that to the test! :lol:

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:08 am

Get quite a few stumpy cod in the Tyne. Fished a match last year and was struggling to score when I hooked a codling. Got it's head out of the water and thought champion it's about 2.5lb. Got it to the measure and it didn't even reach 35cm to score.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:27 pm

Livid Caught a Pollack with no top part to the Snout once, it was quite freaky, Looked like it was grumpy.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:46 pm

Since were on the subject of strange looking fish I once caught a small codling that had no eyes, well he had eyes,, just deformed and white no chance he could of seen anything!

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:20 pm

Drew wrote: Looked like it was grumpy.

sure you wernt looking at noel ? :lol:

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:47 pm

hairyconger wrote:
Drew wrote: Looked like it was grumpy.

sure you wernt looking at noel ? :lol:

:roll: Trust you...

Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:31 pm

what? :roll:

Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:12 am

Drew wrote:Livid Caught a Pollack with no top part to the Snout once, it was quite freaky, Looked like it was grumpy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was one ugly creation.