Antrim Coast Dolphins

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:25 pm

I was fishing the Co.Antrim coast today and seen about 20 dolphins swimming up beside Blackhead Lighthouse just beside the outlet pipe there. Great to see

Didnt catch any fish though, 8)

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:06 pm

seen alot of them lately myself, over here and at the weekend at the british open which was won this year with a 10lb cod wish i had of caught it :(

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:01 pm

were they dolphins or porposies ?

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:31 pm

i c them off greys point, co.down alot. they look like bottle-nosed dolphins but i'm no david attenborough.

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:38 pm

Ronald wrote:were they dolphins or porposies ?

Could someone explain how you spot the difference. We have an annual debate when they show up around here ...

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:01 pm

Wikipedia wrote:Porpoises tend to be smaller but stouter than dolphins. They have small, rounded heads and blunt jaws instead of beaks. While dolphins have a round, bulbous "melon", porpoises do not. Their teeth are spade-shaped, whereas dolphins have conical teeth. In addition, a porpoise's dorsal fin is generally triangular, rather than curved like that of many dolphins and large whales. Some species have small bumps, known as tubercles, on the leading edge of the dorsal fin. The function of these bumps is unknown. [1]

These animals are the smallest cetaceans, reaching body lengths up to 2.5 m (8 feet); the smallest species is the Vaquita, reaching up to 1.5 m (5 feet). In terms of weight the lightest is the Finless Porpoise at 30-45 kg (65-100 lb) and the heaviest is Dall's Porpoise at 130-200kg (280-440 lb). Because of their small size, porpoises lose body heat to the water more rapidly than other cetaceans. Their stout shape, which minimizes surface area, may be an adaptation to reduce heat loss. Thick blubber also insulates them from the cold. The small size of porpoises requires them to eat frequently, rather than depending on fat reserves

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:44 pm

They looked like dolphins to me. They had the curve fin of the dolphin but they were very dark in colour

Apologies after looking at the video they are definitley porpoises, :oops: lol
Last edited by round_ourway on Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:41 am

porposises have a very short dorsal fin ,whereas dolphins dorsal fin is quite long ,you only normally see the back and dorsal of porposies as they rarely jump clear of the water ,blackhead (co.antrim) is a regular haunt for them as is greys point .Ramore head is another good spot to see them. http://www.iwdg.ie/iscope/sightings/def ... ch1=Search