Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:29 am

rab01 wrote: how would anyone ever prove that u r fishing for that species??

If the baliffs find a dead sea trout in your bag, it's pretty conclusive proof.......... :!:

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:35 am

Rab, I see you're in Co. Down. The law as I stated applies to the Republic, I don't know what the story is in the North.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:24 pm

Bradan wrote:Rab, I see you're in Co. Down. The law as I stated applies to the Republic, I don't know what the story is in the North.

I have just sent an email to FCB for nortern ireland I will post there reply ....

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:21 pm

lazycod wrote:
Bradan wrote:Rab, I see you're in Co. Down. The law as I stated applies to the Republic, I don't know what the story is in the North.

I have just sent an email to FCB for nortern ireland I will post there reply ....

Thought you might be waiting a while so I sent a friend who works for DCAL a text - he says you do need a licence.

The man from DCAL says yes!

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:56 pm

no u've got me wrong tanglerat, i wouldn't be caught by bailiffs with a dead seatrout in my bag because i would'nt kill any i caught, i would be fishing strictly catch and release. but apparently u still need a licence to do this. bit of a shame really.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:51 pm

sure the next thing is licenses for sea angling in total..its the only tax free arm of the sport i think..i stand to be corrected...

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Mr_Green wrote:sure the next thing is licenses for sea angling in total..its the only tax free arm of the sport i think..i stand to be corrected...

Its not that bad!

Actually in ROI the only species you need a licence for are salmon and sea trout. That leaves roach, rudd, bream, hybrids, pike, eels, carp, perch, tench, brown trout, and that's just in freshwater. Upwards of 40 species in saltwater.

If you lived in England/Wales or most European countries you would need a licence to fish for any species in freshwater. If you lived in Germany you couldn't fish for sport, only for food!

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:18 pm

i dont mind buying a license, but what will change if i do? if i have to pay for my sea angling id like to see some enforcements on poachers and such that are actually enforced, since our stocks are declining... anyway thats in fantasy land ,for the meantime anyway lol

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:39 pm

Here's another case scenario:

I'm fishing, not targetting sea trout, but I get one. Unfortunately, the lure has gone too deep and it's not possible to remove it without causing damage. Or I'm very unexperienced and the fish won't stop moving.... So the poor trout is going to die soon whether released or not.

What would you do? What would happen if you were caught with a bloody trout and no license? Would you just release it not to get in trouble? I said, probably, because otherwise some would take obvious advantage of the situation.

I'm not trying to create controversy for nothing. From the reports I read here, some people decide to keep other fish when hooks go too deep into their catch and cause them irreversible damage.

I await your opinions!

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:54 pm

inigo wrote:Here's another case scenario:

I'm fishing, not targetting sea trout, but I get one. Unfortunately, the lure has gone too deep and it's not possible to remove it without causing damage. Or I'm very unexperienced and the fish won't stop moving.... So the poor trout is going to die soon whether released or not.

What would you do? What would happen if you were caught with a bloody trout and no license? Would you just release it not to get in trouble? I said, probably, because otherwise some would take obvious advantage of the situation.

I'm not trying to create controversy for nothing. From the reports I read here, some people decide to keep other fish when hooks go too deep into their catch and cause them irreversible damage.

I await your opinions!

Ah, there's always one........

Technically you would be breaking the law by killing the fish. However, a good fisheries officer would probably realise you're genuine and didn't want to kill a fish, but it was gut hooked, etc and wouldn't prosecute you, but you would have to surrender the fish to them. Either way killing the fish should be a last resort, if after making every effort to return it its obvious the fish won't survive only then should you knock it on the head

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:04 am

where u do u get a license? i intend to target sea trout in the summer?

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:15 am

Bradan wrote:but you would have to surrender the fish to them

Should you surrender the salad and chips too? :D :oops:

re licence

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:10 pm

I have just had a reply from FCB northern ireland regarding a licence to fish sea trout in the sea it reads

Our remit only covers inland waters, and there is no requirement to have a
rod licence to sea fish.
Many thanks

so what are DCAL talking about
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:19 pm

you only need a licence if your caught :P :P :o :lol: :o travel light and dont bring your new fancy rod and reel that way if your caught you dont loose too much, hehehhehehehe
remember if your not cheating your not trying and your only cheating if your caught :P

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:27 pm

[quote="paulocallaghan"]you only need a license if your caught

If you are caught and they want to prosecute you I will sell you the email I got from them for a tenner :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: re licence

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:20 pm

lazycod wrote:I have just had a reply from FCB northern ireland regarding a licence to fish sea trout in the sea it reads

Our remit only covers inland waters, and there is no requirement to have a
rod licence to sea fish.
Many thanks

so what are DCAL talking about
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I don't know Lazy! Maybe one guy's DUP and the other's SF - might have known they'd never agree :lol: :lol:

Re: re licence

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:40 pm

I don't know Lazy! Maybe one guy's DUP and the other's SF - might have known they'd never agree :lol: :lol:[/quote]

yeah mate more green party needed or should that be orange ah F*** it don't want to start another debate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm away fishing :P :P :P