Maddies at Kilmuckridge

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:52 pm

After all the hype did anybody catch anything on them on Saturday? Apart from blasting them all over the horizon they didn't get me any fish, although a more settled day probably would have suited them.

Re: Maddies at Kilmuckridge

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:14 pm

pete wrote:After all the hype did anybody catch anything on them on Saturday? Apart from blasting them all over the horizon they didn't get me any fish, although a more settled day probably would have suited them.

A 20 cm flounder. Oh thanks to paulm who pm'd me to say he had some left over from the previous week.

jd

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:43 am

Didnt get a tap on em Pete. Picked up turbot in close with a little bit of lug above a nice mack strip, had a flounder then well out on a similar bait.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:13 am

Lug tipped with mac got me the counting flounder and my undersize fish. Interesting John, did you get the fish just on maddies or did you cocktail them with something else?

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:39 am

pete wrote:Lug tipped with mac got me the counting flounder and my undersize fish. Interesting John, did you get the fish just on maddies or did you cocktail them with something else?

Tipped with mack.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:59 am

Anyone have a pic of maddies -

have never even seen them let alone used them :roll:

john

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:03 pm

Pics thanks to PartyBoy. Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:20 pm

Cheers Paul :)

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:25 pm

Lads, what you see in the pic above are whites, not maddies.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:28 pm

Well JD. I was always told that there were one and the same. Could you shed some light on this and give more info.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:29 pm

Sorry coaster but they are whites also know as wrigglers. The redish one on the lefthand side may be a small rag or a very big maddie.
Maddies are a small type of rag worm found in easturies well up the tide mark. Ofter found while digging for lug in muddy areas.
But back to the point of maddies at Kilmuckridge I had an undersize turbot on mackeral strip. Had it on all 3 hooks no maddies used. Had 3 cod, 1 on lug only and 2 on crab only all taken at distance. At the carpark I was told by someone who shall remain nameless not to bother bringing the crab as it catches nothing here.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:33 pm

the picture is of herringbone/whites. Maddie's are basically miniature rag normally around 2- 3 inches long.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:35 pm

Maddies are harbour or red rag.

pic [url=http://fishing-guernsey.co.uk/Baits/baits.asp?BaitType=%27Harbour_Ragworm%27]here[/url]
Last edited by jd on Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:38 pm

sorry Kraken.
Didn't mean to lead you astray. :oops:
Thanks for the info all.
The link for the pic does not seem to be working.

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:42 pm

Kraken wrote:

have never even seen them let alone used them :roll:

john

Opposit the roundabout just outside the town on the Cork road looks ideal ground for them. Worth a try.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:33 am

No bother Coaster - least we both learned something new :lol:

Donal,
I take it your talking about Dungarvan in above post - if so sweet :shock: - I only live right next to the roundabout :lol: :lol:

gonna give it a go anyway - see what it turns up

cheers
john

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:26 am

donal domeney wrote:Sorry coaster but they are whites also know as wrigglers. The redish one on the lefthand side may be a small rag or a very big maddie.
Maddies are a small type of rag worm found in easturies well up the tide mark. Ofter found while digging for lug in muddy areas.
But back to the point of maddies at Kilmuckridge I had an undersize turbot on mackeral strip. Had it on all 3 hooks no maddies used. Had 3 cod, 1 on lug only and 2 on crab only all taken at distance. At the carpark I was told by someone who shall remain nameless not to bother bringing the crab as it catches nothing here.

crab is good for codling here alright and dab too.