Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:35 pm

Sound, I'll be there defo.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:06 pm

ive got a penn 525 and a slosh 30...if i load these with 40lb low diameter braid will i reach the bottom?

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:11 pm

You dont need to load them both with braid, 20-25lb mono on the 525 will suffice. Try Suffix synergy, strong line for low diameter. You will be fishing in 350ft of water so load 150-200 metres of braid on and back it up with mono. If you try and fill a slosh 30 with braid itll eat the stuff! No need TBH.

Make sure your reels are FULL of line. Don't overfill but the fuller they are the less winding you will have to do. A tip....when loading your reels, load the Slosh first, wind on 150-200 metres of braid first and then attach the mono and wind till its full. Its on backwards so transfer that onto your 525 to turn it round and then wind back onto the slosh. Hey Presto, a perfectly filled reel. :D

clothing

Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:19 am

on our last trip in november two guys showed up in jeans, runners and track suit tops!!
Definately not a good idea. Even in summer there is spay flying about and water sloshing on the deck, so waterproof gear is essential. It might also be very very cold

Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:35 am

Morning all.
Fair play to yis lads, long distance wrecking in January takes cojonés!
I may be staying down there that weekend to see yis off. Marks place is great, lovely rooms, super brekkie, gear storage etc so if anyone is still looking, I'd recommend staying there.
He also has a very well stocked boat angling tackle shop if you are stuck for anything on the day.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:32 pm

It's still a long time away, but the computer models have started to agree somewhat that we may luck out. Just hope that high pressure doesn't sink south cause that'll bring in the westerlies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:38 pm

Havent a notion quite how to predict what will happen there but Accuweather looks quite promising but as they say, a week might be a long time in politics but its a hell of a long time where weather is concerned... Keep them fingers crossed lads.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:04 pm

my girl is freakin out after i told her how far we were headin lol...and when i think about it, it is mad lol but such is life...lets hope we catch something massive :)

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:10 pm

You just keep them fingers and toes crossed mate as it isnt exactly calm quite yet down here..... Is anyone else just a small, teeny little bit excited...... :D

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:48 pm

Lads, if we are going offshore wrecking, we will depart at about 8am as it is a two hour trip. So try and be there at 7.30 am o0r so.
jd

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:50 am

Todays weather watch....flat calm boys... :D

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:35 am

im ringin mark 2day 2 see if i can get a room, so ill see whoever is stayin in his gaff...assumin its all good of course :)

organisation

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:33 pm

looks like we are going to be lucky with the weather!!

I think SAI should appoint one person to liaise with the skipper for each boat trip, otherwise he will get drunk off if we are all phoning him with the same queries when he's out at sea.

someone needs to confirm the accommodation and departure times, doesn't really matter who?

Also agree when we have a departure time, we should have an SAI meeting time 30 mins earlier and the boat should leave on the dot.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi John
To avoid confusion, perhaps you should continue to liaise with Mark.
I'll look after the Kilmore trips.

jd

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:04 pm

Are we agreeing on 7.30am then? I'm only 20mins away so if you want to meet earlier then nae bother.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Hello there.

Im just reading your post and eagerly waiting your report back from this mark. Where abouts our u's going out of interest

Cheers
Stevie

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:00 pm

2 b honest lads im sh%^in on myself...since all them boats have went down in waterford and so many killed...then again my head is a bit eccentric... im still game tho and im sure the skipper knows what hes doin

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:16 pm

No worries there man, I doubt theres a more knowledgable, conscientious fella in the game.
As an aside, I heard today that he is planning to totally replace his current fleet with the most modern boats. :twisted:
Thats actually true :lol: but his current boats are totally top notch. Is that the Lady Louise you are on in your avatar Pete?
Delighted to see the weather has copped itself on lads and best of luck!

Life Jackets

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 pm

Mr. Green,

Mark Gannon, as with the majority of registered skippers runs tight ships. Thirty odd miles is not that far out in the whole scheme of things, you’ll be grand! It’s a long steam out though. There won’t be anyone brought back in if they get sick! Plus there no land to look at if you are feeling queasy!

Don't forget your life jacket. If you wear a floatation suit, wear a life jacket as well (most suits are only buoyancy aids).

I don’t know if charter skippers enforce the life jacket regulations. I wouldn’t feel comfortable without my lifejacket.

Most of all enjoy! A fish of a lifetime could be waiting :)

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:39 pm

does mark have any floatation suits for sale do u know? i cant get 1 on time up here