Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:52 pm

For anybody staying down, with a bit of luck there should be codling around from the New Marina in Wexford town. Lug and Peeler.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:45 am

jd wrote:For anybody staying down, with a bit of luck there should be codling around from the New Marina in Wexford town. Lug and Peeler.

If you're meeting up for a bit of shore, give me a shout just in case I'm at a loose end :D

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:58 am

im only livin up the road, so if ye want to have a shore session b4 or after...id b up 4 it...hopefully

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:37 pm

Dave, just realised that the 17th is the final day of the six nations (can't drink and drive!!) and the sunday is mother's day and we have a gang to stay. It looks unlikely I'll make it down. :(

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:05 am

according to met office this
Friday: A Cold, bright, rather windy day on Friday with passing showers but some more persistent rain later in the day

lets hope the weekend improves

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:49 am

Sundays Forecast:
Showers late. Mostly cloudy. Cool. 43°F 37°F 20 mph / NW 81% 34°F Minimal 40% 0.15"
Looks grand, dunno how relaible a 7day forecast will be...lets find out :)

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:38 am

Sunshine and some cloud
High Temperature: 11°C
RealFeel®: 7°C
View the Hour-By-Hour™ Forecast
Winds: WSW at 32km/h
Wind Gusts: 53 km/h
Maximum UV Index: Moderate (3)
Thunderstorm
Probability: 0%
Amount of Precipitation: 0.0mm
Amount of Rain: 0.0mm
Amount of Snow: 0.00cm
Hours of Precipitation: 0 Hrs
Hours of Rain: 0 Hrs
Hours of Sun: 11.2 Hrs

From Accuweather. Ho Hum. Touch and go stuff again methinks, the wind wouldnt want to pick up much more. Can we have a decision on Friday afternoon from the skipper for this please?

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:51 am

Mr rampant may be going instaed of my brother..
jd

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:25 pm

fingers crossed for good weather!!! i think it will be grand 8)

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:55 am

Winds west south west gusting to 53km...thats blowing down the neck of it?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:34 am

windguru is giving northwest around 28 knots. if that's accurate i'd guess the skipper would reschedule

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:18 pm

Northwest would be offshore no? I don't know as have not fished there before, any of the locally based lads have an opinion?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:46 pm

ok list is
jd,jw,petekd,mr green,marco ,pete,stephend,donal domeney,Ferg,Angus,thescotsman,paulocallaghan
Rampant wreakfish
Paul Robinson

Am I missing anyone? Anyone have to cancel.

Lads lets try and meet at Marina 9.30. Boat leaves at 10.

Skipper is happy with a NWerly. He'd fish to the east of the Saltees. He picked up mostly coley yesterday.

Recommended rag and squid.

jd

ps It may be snowing :shock:

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:48 am

savage...i cant get rag but im sure i can get squid!! any1 recommend rigs please? ive got double spreaders and stuff...( ps i aint gonna be much competition so a pm will be grand)

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:02 am

From earlier in the thread....

Ill bring what was left of the frozen mack from the Courtmac trip. I wont be vouching for its quality however after a day afloat and all day Saturday in the back of the jeep.

The lack of fresh bait on the trip last year meant that some of the lads struggled for fish. Rag is absolutely essential if you are fishing for wrasse, if you can't get it try picking up a packet of Gulp Rag and see how they do. From what I remember of last year, the majority of our fishing was over shallowish reefs. No 90 metre hauls then! Wrasse are a piece of cake to catch when they are present in numbers but as I said, if no rag, target other stuff. Frozen crab is no substitute either.

The ground can be tackle hungry if you are fishing baits hard on the bottom, its no place for pirks TBH. Tip, use a bag tie or small length of garden wire to attach your lead to your trace. Just make a loop through your clip and the eye on your lead and put say 3 twists in it. That way if it sticks all you have to do is pull through the wire and replace your lead. Its much quicker than tying in rotten bottoms.

Keep a set of small sandeel imitations to hand, baited with small strips of mackerel, ready to go. If you hit a patch of coalies it will fair haul them in. If things get really tough, reach for the shrimp rigs. Baited with little slivers of mack/squid they will pick up most things. Fishing from Kilmore can be on occasions quite patchy and scratchy, dont be afraid to scale things down. Its no place really for 6 inch shads and 30-50lb gear. 12-20 is absolutely fine.

It can get quite lumpy out there so sea sick tablets for anyone who may require them.

When we drift the clean (sandy bottom), a double spreader bar (buy the rigid ones not the crap extendable things.) with 2 very short snoods (they shouldnt be allowed to even hint at overlapping otherwise your heart will be broke with tangles.) of 20lb amnesia or similar decorated with a few beads or small spoons to size 2 hooks baited with rag/mack will pick up Flats, Gurnard, LSDs etc. If you are using light enough line you will get away with a flat 5oz lead/watch style lead. If you have 2 of those tied up you should be fine as you shouldnt (famous last words...) lose them.

Thats as much as I'm saying, it is a compo after all :D Remember the majority of it is reef fishing and adjust your tactics accordingly and you will do fine. Brief report from last years trip here....

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... &&start=15

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Met is giving SW swingin to NW for Sunday.
Off as no shelter.
Will ring you all.
jd

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:01 pm

missed your call jd but thanks anyway, was itching to get out all week drunk off now, guess il have to go bass hunting instead

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:37 pm

John has difficulty fitting us in as he is booked all weekends now till end of summer.
I'll get back to you on this
jd

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:22 pm

In the old days they used to make wooden ships and men of steel.
Nowadays the ships are made of steel or worse plastic and the men ......... :lol: :twisted: :lol:

Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:23 pm

Marco wrote:In the old days they used to make wooden ships and men of steel.
Nowadays the ships are made of steel or worse plastic and the men ......... :lol: :twisted: :lol:

:lol: :lol: ... im up for a sunday session if u want to meet up!! any1 fancy it?!?