Junior section

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:33 pm

Is there any plans for a junior section of the club. young blood and all that?????????

Colin

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 pm

MAC should have something to say on this :lol:

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:38 pm

Whatever about the club, I def think we should have a section on the site for young rods.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:14 am

My thinking is if you can get them in early they learn quickly.
Look at Stephen Brennan at 23 one of the top matchmen in Ireland.
He started young must have.
Plus young people are excited and have lots of energy and this rubs of on people. There must be members of the club or site that have children who would like to get a hobby and spend time with there folks

Colin

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:47 am

Bought my 7 year old nephew his first rod a few weeks ago and took him down to the beach for a fish. Granted, he spent the majority of the time hurling seaweed back into the water and "looking for treasure..." but you wanna hear his squeals of delight when I handed him the rod and made him wind in a coalie...... Comical stuff with the little fella struggling with the large Emcast FS but nice to see.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:04 pm

I'd like to add my voice in favour too. My young fella has the attention span of a fly and is as likely to cast himself/rod in as his float but as he progresses it would be nice for him to have a section too. Something to aim for.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:51 pm

Juniors are always welcome in the club. I think the big problem is that with our club we don't head "down the road" for our comps. Most involve wekends away and it would be difficult to involve yourger members on such trips.

During Saturday night when myself and the lads were solving all the worlds angling problems we did mention that we would like to have a Junior / Beginner day. We would invite some folks plus their children / nefews & nieces to fish and meets and see if we could get some people catching a few fish. This would be great for introducing some people to our sport. Something that I think is desperatly needed in these times. There just aren't enough kids fishing any more. This is something I hope to organise during the spring / summer when the weather is a wee bit better.

I will keep all informed.

Kevin

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:56 pm

Just to say there is an option to join up as ajunior here
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/joinSAC.html

it does say

For the moment we are insisting that junior members are accompanied by a relative or legal guardian i.e. senior member. Ideally we want to get a senior member club up to speed quickly so that if there is a demand for junior memberships, this facet of the club can be managed properly.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:59 pm

Any chance of a "Young rods" Forum then? Its a start.....

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:24 pm

We could put it up Pete, but I'm not sure it would be used. I've seen them closed on may sites as the younger lads will post away in the regular forums anyway.

Kev

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:25 pm

petekd wrote:Any chance of a "Young rods" Forum then? Its a start.....

Where do you think we should put it?
Under community?
jd

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:44 pm

i'd say the best thing it leave the separate forum out of it and instead below the names of juniors 16 and under instead of having the regular SAI Newbie, SAI Resident etc etc.. you could put SAI Young rod or something to that effect..
then at least when senior members are replying they know to curb any language they might have thought about putting and explain things clearer so that the younger less experienced (not saying that all juniors have no experience)people can understand..

just my 2cents worth :lol:

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:06 pm

We could put it up Pete, but I'm not sure it would be used. I've seen them closed on may sites as the younger lads will post away in the regular forums anyway.

What I had in mind was for younger kids, the 6-12s say, a nice forum with lots of pics of youngsters with their catch, something you can show them being "famous" :D . If it slips into a regular forum it gets buried and lost. A young rods gallery could be something but I'd like to see it on the front page so to speak, hence asking for a forum. Can we not give it a try?

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:11 pm

petekd wrote:

What I had in mind was for younger kids, the 6-12s say, a nice forum with lots of pics of youngsters with their catch, something you can show them being "famous" :D . If it slips into a regular forum it gets buried and lost. A young rods gallery could be something but I'd like to see it on the front page so to speak, hence asking for a forum. Can we not give it a try?

I'm on for it -
Under what category should this go?
Pete if you write the tag line /description for the forum, I'll set it up.
jd

Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:14 pm

Cheers John. Ill get back to ya....

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:04 pm

Seancelt wrote: My young fella has the attention span of a fly a

:lol: :lol:

it would be nice to have a junior section. i'd be more than willing to help with any junior events/ beginner days...

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:11 pm

m.b3 wrote:
Seancelt wrote: My young fella has the attention span of a fly a

:lol: :lol:

it would be nice to have a junior section. i'd be more than willing to help with any junior events/ beginner days...

You do realise that you have just offered to be the sites babysitter. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:44 pm

He He He :D Bringing my daughter to every SAI comp next year and handing her to Mark at the beginning of each session....might give the rest of us a chance.... :wink: