Query: Irish Federation of Sea Anglers

Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:14 pm

Ok, this isn't exactly a tip or trick, but I posted it here where both boat and shore anglers could pick up on it.

I live in London, and fish out of a lot of ports in the SE of England. So, I'm a personal member of the NFSA, to support those that are promoting the sport I hold so dear.

Because fish stocks are under such pressure, I reckoned all regions of the UK needed all the help they could get, so I joined the Welsh and Scottish Federations also as a personal member.

Which got thinking; as I'm Irish (and returning from exile soon!) it would be nice to join the IFSA at some level, to support those working for and promoting Irish sea anglers. Could I do this? Apparently not!! There does not seem to be any level of membership available to individuals to join.

What's that all about?

:evil:

Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:15 am

Tanglerat, I'm in the same boat. Am part of a club who won't affiliate. I want to join for comps etc. but can't as I'm on my own. They suggested I contact clubs near me and join up. Easier said than done. Understandably, clubs don't want Joe Bloggs who they don't know joining up just so they can join the IFSA. So we're snookered !!

Cost

Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:08 am

Why not just join any club to get your IFSA card and insurance. The cost is minimal 25 to 35 euros and you don't have to turn up to that clubs comps.

Donagh

Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:35 am

Hi Donagh, that's my point, clubs may not want someone they don't know joining up, using them, just for affiliation. They have no idea who may be joining up, in their name. Anything untoward (word for today) happens, the club's name is dragged in too. Arthur offered me to join his club, but it'd feel like I was just using them, which is why I didn't take him up , though I appreciate the offer.

Should there not be some form of individual membership ? Who knows how many more people would join up ? Why is there no individual membership ? Does it not make financial sense, as it'd bring the IFSA in a few quid extra. Even if it cost a few quid more for individuals to join !

Maybe create a virtual club for individuals with no clubs to join !! (there's the nerd in me coming out !). VSAC !! Is that feasible ?

Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:07 pm

I am in the same situation too. Would like to be able to join the IFSA as an individual member. Don't want to be tied down to a club as I like to go fishing where and when I want.
If I joined a club I would feel obliged to fish its matches, and thats not really what I want.
I find it unbelievable that the IFSA cannot see the need for Individual Membership.
Conor, count me in as a member of the VSAC !!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:27 pm

sounds good to me.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:23 pm

anyone else be interested ? If there was enough interest I could approach IFSA and ask if they'd consider it . Virtual Sea Anglers - has a ring to it !! Never get your hands smelly !!

Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:31 am

Me too, if that's the only way in :)

Mind you, I think we should first of all lobby the IFSA's officers en-masse for a change in their policy. Think would 3 or 4 emails from all of us do the trick?

Mebbe not........... :(

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:28 pm

I would be interested too..

Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Arghhhh I suggest the creation of a new angling Body the 'NPSNSAOPWLTF' or Non politically segregated north south alliance of people who like to fish.

ISFA gripe

Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:09 pm

A proposal that this website will form a proper sea angling club to be affiliated to the ISFA will appear on their next monthly agenda, per email from Grahame Foot. He will appraise me of what the outcome of the meeting is. It is a rather unique proposal but we are using a similar club in the UK affiliated to the NFSA to make the case. Assuming we get the go-ahead, perhaps subject to some constraints (like who can enter the master angler competitions) we will need several people to come and run with this - this website takes enough time as it is (or I'll be divorced!)... so we need some volunteers on a regional basis to help with this... :wink:

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:08 pm

Do we get a snazzy badge? :D

Cool work, nicely done. But isn't doing it this way (forming a virtual club) letting the IFSA off the hook as regards why they don't allow personal/individual memberships? Did you get any feedback from them on that?

Usually, I'd be happy to volunteer my help, but I'm forseeing major lifestyle moves in the near future so I'd better be sensible! Moving from London to Donegal to a place without a phoneline might make it tricky............. :?

Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:37 pm

Any more information on what activities the club would carry out?

Donagh

Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:22 pm

Nope. Suggestions welcome. Certainly think that with enough members in "chapters" around the regions we could organise a few shore meets :lol: and even a few boat trips, although based on the Belmullet experience so far I'm not so sure :? All recommendations welcome.

Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:09 pm

i have to say it would be great if you got the go ahead on this one Kieran. although i may not be of much help i would be more than willing to help out if i can. 'fish and meets' would be great! we could find out who the wafflers are! on a serious note though, the fish and meets would be a great help to all and a bit of fun too. hope it all goes well.

VSAC

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:58 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would like to fish the boat comps they have in Greystones each year and allow the boaters on my site to do the same. Unfortunately i'm not in a club and do not want to fish petty comps for pin Whiting and Doggies. Clubs take up too much fishing time without the prospect of real boat fishing. Get out there, explore, find your own marks in the big blue and catch those fish yourself! That is where the fun is. why do they insist on these silly rules?

indivual membership to the I.F.S.A.

Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:54 pm

The I.F.S.A. rules only allow for club membership and not individuals

Dingbat

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:53 pm

Dingbat, that is precisely what I'm whinging about!

I'd love to join the IFSA, but their rules won't allow it.

How many more anglers in the country would join if they amended their rules?

So, if forming our own cyberangling club is the only way to do it.........

i.f.s.a. membership

Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:35 pm

Hello.Tanglerat
I see from other emails you are returning I am sure where you are going there will be a club in the i.f.s.a.. We have members in our club who never fish, therefore I see no difficulty if you joined a club and you did not want to fish club competitions. It would be up to the club you join. I will put a situation ( you are working and you are only able to get off on Sunday, most club matches are held at night or on weekdays. so in that case you would not be physically able to fish club competitions.By been a member of that club you would be able to fish open competitions which are usually held on Sundays.

Best of Luck
Dingbat

Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:45 pm

Hello all
Reading down the emails on this matter. It would appear to me it is all blow and no action. For a start thr i.f.s.a executive are anglers just like all of us. The constution of the i.f.s.a. allows clubs to affiliate not indivudals.
The only way to change that is change the constution of the i.f.s.a.. The only way that can be done is from the club level. (I.E. you have to be a member of a club, to effect change). No organisation would entertain people who are not affiliated to it, trying to change it. I am a member of a club affiliated to the i.f.s.a. and I support it, one must remember the officers are amature and human The old maxmum still applies the only way to effect change is from the inside out.

Dingbat