Fifth Competition, The Coombe, Co. Wexford 13-August-06

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:27 pm

Ok- who thinks they make this?

Sunday 13-Aug-06 12:00 - 17:00 20:20 4.2 m The Coombe Lady's Island Wexford
Last edited by jd on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:16 pm

And me again.... :D

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:57 pm

count me in

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:43 am

I’m loathe to say yes cos I’ve been a disaster all year, something always seems to crop up (except for Killary, where I feckin blanked!!).

But I am extremely hopeful of making it this time around!

JD – are we fishing the rough ground around the point, or the cleaner ground past the point down towards Rostoonstown??

Could be a good spot to hang around for the evening after the comp, there’s always a good chance of sizeable bass after dark. The odd chance of tope too.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:04 am

More towards Rostoonstown (near the cut)
I'd concur with hanging around after the competition if possible..
jd

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:03 pm

Hope to be there too!

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:51 pm

Dangly arm rules me out of this one I'm afraid. I may make a shore comp at some stage this year....!

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:27 am

Jaysus - just read your report on your unfortunate tumble - ouch!!! Are you going to need an operation on the arm? Hope it's healing well anyway.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:51 am

Ill be there hopefully. Anyone fished here before? What sort of ground is it and what species?

Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:41 pm

Hopefully,

I'll be there too.

Donal.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:13 pm

Fished here numerous times before, it’s a nice place to fish. To be honest, the fishing is better at night, like most of the Wexford beaches.

If we are fishing around "the cut", the ground will be fairly clean, with the very odd snag. Standard beach casting gear will be fine. I haven’t looked at the tides we are fishing yet, but there is a very strong tidal current here, so grips are a must, and a minimum of 150g necessary (unless you want to seriously p*ss off the lad on the next peg!)

There are plenty of flounders here, doggies too. After that you never know what is going to turn up because the beach shelves incredibly quickly, and an 80-100 yard cast puts you in very deep water. So numerous other species are possible on any given day. If there is any surf up, the chances of bass are very good. Sea trout are also possible on a calm evening.

This is the same beach the sunfish was caught on last year (see the forum for details). Also in times past, tope and a 22lb bull huss have been recorded very close to here.

JD – I would recommend looking at a back up venue, because on the off chance that a heavy easterly has been blowing in the days before the comp, this beach may be unfishable. Although seeing as it’s mid August, we should be ok!

A provisional YES!

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:37 am

I'll say yes, but without checking my calendar I know I've a couple of things on in August so I could easily have to pull out.

John D.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:35 pm

Steve wrote:JD – I would recommend looking at a back up venue, because on the off chance that a heavy easterly has been blowing in the days before the comp, this beach may be unfishable. Although seeing as it’s mid August, we should be ok!

Hi Steve..
I'll keep an eye on the weather forecast, and post the backup a week before (depending on predicted wind direction etc)
jd

Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:34 pm

ok
any more definites, maybes and no-ways! ?
jd

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:52 pm

m.b3 said he should be able to make it.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:18 pm

I'll be there JD.

Kev

SAC

Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:20 pm

Hi guys,

I would be interested in joining the club and fishing this competition what do I need to do ?

Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:11 pm

Unfortunately it is too late in the year to join up. We ill be opening membership for 2007 soon. You are welcome to fish along side us, but you cannot fish the comp as you would not be insured.

compo

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:37 pm

Myself and the brother mickthepainter will be their as assocate members to fish along side

Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:17 pm

I propose we meet up from 10.00 - 11.00am, Butlers of Broadway.
To get there, take the second turn in Tagoat village before Rosslare Harbour.
http://www.athaia.com/cgi-bin/tools/get ... ity=Tagoat

http://www.athaia.com/cgi-bin/tools/get ... state=&pc=