Carrigaholt Beach (3rd comp)

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:35 pm

Saturday 29-Apr-06 14:00 - 19:00 19:13 4.4 m Carrigaholt Beach Carrigaholt Clare

Hello all.
Who's going to be there :?:
What are the species we will be fishing for :?:
Iv never been there before so all info welcome

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:37 pm

Thornies, flounder, the odd coalie, the (very) odd Plaice, LSDs, Dabs. Primarily fish baits, mack, sandeel etc, but worms may tempt the flats. Have not heard of any bass taken from there but I suppose its possible.

I will deffo be there and will be staying up from the Fri all being well to the Sunday to sample the proper fishing thats in that area :lol: Anyone else planning on staying up?? Be good if we could all base ourselves in one area for a few beers Sat night.....

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:36 pm

I've fished it only a few times and all I can add is waders can add distance here at especially at the lower part of the tide. I've been here on a spring low and walked out a 100 yards and not been past my knees. Its clean enough here but can be a bit lumpy so watch your step. As you'd expect for venue like this distance casting can be a must but fish can come in close during the day when the water is cloudy. The last day I fished a comp here the guy that won was using fish bites and was racking in the dogs for the last hour of the comp. I'm told for ray Mackerel is the bait of choice here but a combo of sand eel can help. I've heard of bass been taken here at extreme distance during the summer and know that undulate and painted ray being an odd capture but the main species caught are dogs, thornies and flounder. Tide isn't that strong here so you can use plain leads if you want. One last thing with the tide your fishing you end up fishing from the sea wall so peg it that way. Best of luck and I hope its one of does days the ray come in close.

Donagh

Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:30 am

I hope this is a catch and release ill be down there around that weekend and if I see any rays cut up or lying around with their wings cut off I wont be happy and either will the local anglers........

Good luck

Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:09 pm

All SAI comps are carried out on a catch, measure and release basis... I have only ever on one occasion seen a fish kept and that was a 4lb cod on the boat comp out of kilmore quay last year. I kept it and ate it as the previous one I caught similar in size a short while earlier hadnt made it and ended up being pecked to bits by a flock of gulls. That is the only time I have seen a fish kept at an SAI comp. The lads tend to take their catch and release seriously in fairness.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:26 am

All SAI comps are run on the Measure system... Having said that if someone wants to keep a fish or two for tea, we have no problem with that as long as it's over minimum size.

All of the comps have a very high release rate.

Kevin

Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:34 pm

We are trying to protect our fish in the estuary so I suggets all ray should be released............

Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:26 pm

I'm sure that any of the lads fishing will take that suggestion on board. I'm open to correction but I don't think a ray has been kept during a SAI SAC competition yet. On the other hand (and I'm most definitely NOT trying to raise a row here) it's up to any given angler to decide whether to keep a fish or not. Any responsible angler knows rays are, if not endangered, pretty close to it - and will act according to their concience.

For example - if a ray (or any fish) was deep hooked and didn't look like making it, I'd (personal opinion) rather see it kept for the pot than put back to die. That would be a waste.

I'm sure the lads are also cheered by your confidence in one of them actually catching a ray..... :lol:

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:01 pm

Lol well I know you have a lot of good anglers so im confident some of ye will catch some good fish best of luck to ye all.............. :D

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:49 am

Alright Neilus? How's the form! Been doing much fishing down Clare way recently?

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:03 am

OK Lads,....... Where are we staying? I'll be driving down Saturday Morning and staying Saturday night for sure and maybe Sunday night as well if the boss will let me :lol:

Kev

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:36 am

Can I suggest using Kilkee as a base if intending to go for beerios on Sat night....will certainly have a lot more life than Carrigaholt or Cross villages

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:19 pm

I was going to suggest Kilkee myself. Has some great craic in a boozer there a couple of years ago. Any suggestions for a B&B or cheap hotel. Last time I was there I camped....... might be a little early for camping, especially with the weather we are getting.

Kev

Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Guys as a fairly modest caster I was wondering if I'd be severely hamstrung at this mark. I'v no problem not winning it but I don't want to spend the day with my bait miles away from the fish!

Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:14 pm

Hi Blaker,

I've been here in competitions and all the fish have been at distance and I've been here and the fish have been close in even at lowest part of the tide. Cloudy water bring the fish in close as will the higher part of the tide. From the little I know of the mark if there are fish there in numbers at distance the lesser caster will still get some fish. You might all turn up and everyone could blank. The one thing I got out of fishing a competition here where the fish were got at distance was a desire to learn to cast which I'm still working on.

Donagh

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:28 pm

Camped every time myself Mac but not dying about the idea of doing it at end of April.... Not sure about cheap, but there are tonnes of B&Bs around Kilkee. Have we any idea of numbers who will be staying over at all??

Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:35 pm

With the weather warming a little I'm tempted to bring the tent. I suppose it will be alright after about 10 pints :lol: :lol:

Kev

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:24 pm

I'm a bit doubtful for this...Will know next weekend

Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:39 pm

Going to pack a small tent. Nothing to loose.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:02 am

Camping it is so! Im gonna go a slight step better than that, taking a little two man tent to store all bait, smellys in, back of hyundai jeep (Commercial) is perfect size for double airbed mattress. Certainly wouldnt be the first time Hotel Hyundai saved the day! :lol: