First Comp, Youghal-Feb 5th, 10am

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:19 pm

Hello folks. The first comp as stated above is in youghal in just over 2 weeks time! Are many going to make it? Just to let those who are going know, this spot is a codling and flounder mark. theres the chance of small coalies and whiting too. Main bait is crab and more crab! Lug will work too but isnt as good as fresh peeler. Im just putting this post up in case any lads make the long journey down from further afield with the wrong baits! I know its tough to source crab at this time of year so if you can even get frozen stuff its better than nowt! Tight Lines!

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:06 pm

So who may go- I hope to be there myself-I'll probably drive over from Wexford early that morning. Any suggestions on a meeting point ?

jd

meeting point

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:17 pm

Hi

There is a small building with a rough car park out on the point, a ycaht club if I recall (?). It is as good as anywhere else and will afford some protection regardless of weather...

FWIW

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:43 pm

ok
anyone want bto post exact directions to the yacht club?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:02 pm

Driving from Waterford its a left turn about 3 miles before you hit Youghal. You'll notice signposts for whiting bay before you get to it. Ferrypoint itself is signposted but you mightnt see it till youve gone past it. Theres a campus garage on your right hand side and the turn for ferrypoint is the left imediately before that. When youve taken this turn youll come to a dodgy crossroads with five different roads going into it! I think ferrypoint is the first or second right, but youll see the signpost here. Theres a house out on the point now, probably used to be the yacht club?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:19 pm

so to be on the safe side leave a bit earlier to make up for wrong turns etc.. and bed early on saturday night? i've heard it can be done

Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:50 pm

Thats just crazy talk daithi

Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:20 pm

Forgot to say, Ill be going. Think m.b3's internet connection is down but he says he'll be going too.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:27 pm

Sean,

Are you driving down sunday morning or saturday night?

Kev

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:27 pm

Hello there Kevin, not entirely sure yet. Ideally i'd like to go on Saturday afternoon but may have to wait til Sunday. Will know for sure closer to the date.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:00 pm

I am in a crap situation... I have a very good friends 50th on Saturday night so I will be at that. I'm guessing that I will be too hung over on Sunday to drive down, If anyone is thinking of traveling on Sunday morning and has a little space in the motor, I would love to bum a lift.

Kev

Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:31 pm

Kevin, your welcome to a spin down if I end up going on the Sunday. As I said not 100% on which day I'll be travelling yet but I'll have room if its the sunday. No guarantee I wont have a hangover though :wink: Will let you know asap.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:52 pm

I hope to kae it down too. Kevin where are you planning on being on Saturday night/early Sunday morning?

I may be leaving from Dunboyne on the Sunday morning if you are staying at home I could swing by Dunshaughlin for you.

Like Seaniebo I will be looking to get a pass to sneak down for a few swift ones in Cork Saturday night though.

I'll keep ye posted.

What's the ground like down here where we'll be fishing, anyone? Light gear or heavy gear required?

Fair play on the comp venues by the way lads, look forward to visiting some of these during the year although with a bambino on the way at the end of March I am probably being optimistic to hope to make all of them.

Donal.

Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:09 am

Just to let you know Ill be there and i think there will be two others from Waterford who intend to join this week. Cant source any crab. Any help appreciated.

Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:17 am

Unfortunately I won't be there. have to go to a christening at 1 on Sunday.

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:47 pm

Don,
The spot we'll be fishing is an estuary at the mouth of the River Blackwater. The bottom is mostly mud with some mixed ground in between. Depending on where abouts on the point we're fishing the gear you need will either be heavy grip leads or else light. If we fish straight out into the channel theres a viscious tide especially on the ebb (which i think were going to be fishing HT ~ 10). Six or seven oz grippers are whats required here and if its a large tide you'll still struggle to hold bottom. Its tough going but can be extremely productive for codling and the odd flounder. If we fish around to the back of the point you've a bit more shelter from the tide and not so much call for heavy duty gear. More chance of flounders here in my experience with smaller codling in between. HTH.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:10 pm

Thanks Sean. Glad I asked now. I'll be making a trip to Southside angling for heavier grippers now.

Would it be easier to meet at the campus garage and then drive out to Ferrypoint, don't like the sounds of that crossroads with 5 options?

How many people are fishing?

Looks like:

JD
Sean
Mark
Kevin (assuming hangover isn't too bad)
Coaster + 2 mates
Donal.

BTW, I will be heading to Southside angling on Friday to pick up bits and pieces and bait so if anyone needs anything PM me or reply to this post.

Cheers,

Donal.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:37 pm

You can probably add me to that list as well, im about 80% sure i'll be there

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:01 am

I'll be in Wexford the day before.. Anyone have problems pm me. (I'll pm my mobile number to Club members later (maybe!)
JD

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:09 am

Don its not as bad as it sounds your almost able to see the spot from this crossroads and theres a signpost there anyway