Associate Membership

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:53 pm

Following on from AGm, we are in a position to offer associate membership for 20 euros a year [url=http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/joinSAC.html]here[/url]. This if for people who want to support the web site and club

In Brief

This
...costs 20 euro
...confers no voting rights at a General Meeting
...has no eligibility for Master Angler Series
Last edited by jd on Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:04 am

Hi there.

Just have a quick question about the legality of your associate membership.

As far as I know for closed club competitions you can only have a max of two clubs represented. For example obviously the members of SAISAC would represent SAISAC and then you can only invite anglers from one other club.

This issue arose in our club a few years ago with inter-club comps and were advised by the IFSA of the above.

So you may need to check this with Leinster Council before you take any memberships!

Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:11 am

FlounderKing wrote:Hi there.

Just have a quick question about the legality of your associate membership.

As far as I know for closed club competitions you can only have a max of two clubs represented. For example obviously the members of SAISAC would represent SAISAC and then you can only invite anglers from one other club.

This issue arose in our club a few years ago with inter-club comps and were advised by the IFSA of the above.

So you may need to check this with Leinster Council before you take any memberships!

Hi,
thanks for that..
We'll look into this-people have asked about associate membership to support club/site. If they can't fish closed comps then so be it.

jd

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:19 am

quick question in relation to the comps, how come there is no open comps like other clubs have.

nige

open competitions

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi

Open competitions have to be notified and agreed by the IFSA almost a year in advance so as to ensure they do not clash with other events. As we run competitions in four provinces, this only complicates matters.

We will look at running an open at some stage but for the moment we will concentrate on delivering a full closed and some social events this year.

Hope this explains it to your satisfaction, a case of learning to crawl...

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:50 pm

Hello there lads, A mate of mine is interested in joining as an associate member. He doesnt have internet access and wants to know if its ok to pay his fee on the day of the first comp? Thanks

Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:25 pm

Would it not be up to the club to decided who is eligible for closed comps - its not like they would be inviting members from other clubs to fish, they could look on it as inviting their own full and associate members to fish. A lot of us are members of other clubs alright, but if we paid assoc membership surely we could fish a closed comp, even if we couldnt accrue points for the master angler...?? i.e. all members can fish and compete for prizes, but only full members can compete for the master angler...

Personally, 20 quid is ok and I'll be joining, but 50 is a bit steep when we've already paid our IFSA affiliation and insurance elsewhere, but it would be nice to be able to fish the comps...

An alternative compromise - have prize for full members and separate prize for assoc members??

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:31 am

[quote]Would it not be up to the club to decided who is eligible for closed comps - its not like they would be inviting members from other clubs to fish, they could look on it as inviting their own full and associate members to fish. A lot of us are members of other clubs alright, but if we paid assoc membership surely we could fish a closed comp, even if we couldnt accrue points for the master angler...?? i.e. all members can fish and compete for prizes, but only full members can compete for the master angler...[/quote]

As I said in my first post this is what happened to our club a few years back. It may have changed since then but if it hasent and SAISAC decide to allow associates to fish anyway and they have an accident on the beach then the club or officials may be liable.

I know its not the intention to invite members of other clubs...but to allow associates to fish they must be fully paid to the IFSA for insurance purposes. Thus in order for associates to fish with SAISAC they must be full members of another club... and like I said before only two clubs can be represented in closed comps.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:41 pm

This is a classic case of a sport shooting itself in the foot.

I personally have little interest in fishing competitions other than for the social side and for the bit I'd learn - depends on what people tell you. I've made some friends on this forum - we have fished together and whilst always an element of competition exists it is FUN.

Now I love fishing, but Flounderking (no relation :D ) has to say is you can't do this and you can't do that. I'm not disagreeing with him and he may well be 100% right but fishing SHOULD be about encouraging people to fish and not how to stop things happening.

Associate membership is a good idea, perhaps the IFSA could agree a methodology that supports my interest in fishing.

I want to fish, I want to fish with friends and learn new venues and tactics, I would like to be insured should I accidentally nail a poacher with a 6oz lead through the eyes, but I do not want to fish competitions and I do not see why my interest in the sport should be given less value by the IFSA rules. There are lots of people like me who may become interested in competitions when my family flees the nest and I have more personal time.

Speaking as an individual angler we should be signing up as many people as possible, we should be giving the IFSA more political leverage in terms of membership numbers so that we can represent an industry larger than the Killybegs mafia and protect our sport - recreational & competition.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:41 pm

Quarterflounder,

Could I suggest that you consider joining our club, there are a few lads that a regulars to the comp scene, but there are more that are not and are only learning as they go along... myself included. The comps are great craic, competive but like you mentioned fun. You will get IFSA membership which brings insurance with it, should you manage to nail that poacher.

We are looking into the associate membership thing and we will find out what we are and are not allowed do with our closed comps.

In the meantime, tight line and most of important of all keep fishing.

Kev

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:05 pm

Mac,

It was me that suggested associate membership to Kieran and I also am a paid up SAISAC member for 2006 :) I'll be there for any Wexford area stuff as travelling is a problem (more in time terms rather than ability to travel)

Morgan.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:38 pm

:oops:

Sorry buddy........ Just got the memberlist of JD. I still haven't remembered all the names..... Look forward to meeting you at one of the wexford comps.

Kev

associate membership

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:39 pm

hi lads

just joined as an associate member am i allowed to fish in comps and meets but not master angler am i allowed to go on boat trips as well.

thanks

angus