Competition Nos 5 and 6 in November...

Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:49 pm

Hi

JD is not available so it falls to me to organise the next competition.

Currently I am looking at Saturday 8th October... if it must fall beyond that we are looking at the end of October before I can organise something - work and my wife's exams intervene I am afraid!!!

How does October 8th grab people for the next competition date? I would be happy to organise one on the west coast and would recommend Belmullet on the basis that whatever the weather we can find a reasonably safe mark and the fishing should be very good in October.

HW is around 8 pm, which means we could fish from 3 pm up to end of light. Alternatively if someone wants to organise an east coast event, perhaps to target the tope marauding along Wicklow and Wexford, then I would be well up for that too!!! :lol: Not sure I can make it but :cry: ...

RSVP
Last edited by kieran on Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:47 am

Kieran,
All things going to plan I'd love to hit Belmullet again, superb fishing of the shore there.Wouldnt be able to stay over though on the Saturday nite as we are having a meet in the northwest the next day. I'd say at that time of the year down there a specimen pollock from the rocks would be a possibility.

Pete

sorry!

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:43 pm

Hi

Sorry, can not make it to organise event on the 8th October.
Now looking at the final Saturday in October, again for Belmullet.
Will check tides etc. and post the details here.

BTW, people (ahem, that's MB3 and MAC) need to begin to check on venues etc. for the remaining two competitions in November and December. We are required by IFSA rules to run at least 8 events.

Thanks

Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:56 pm

I think we have run 4
Greystones,Ballyreen,Ballyhealy and Little KIllary.
That leaves 4..
perhaps use one of the kilmore open comps during their winter festival?- the 15th or 16th of october?

Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:52 pm

How about a comp in Donegal aswell? If people were interested I'd try and organise one. Fishing is excellent here in the autumn.

Pete

Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:31 pm

I'll second that, Pete.

Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:05 pm

Kieran i have been thinkin about a venue. i definitely think donegal is worth a shot. there are a few fair venues here. i can do more research and talk to the lads on this one. 2 definates to be there is good too.

i like the idea of belmullet. nice range of species possible. again try to think of a similar back-up venue as the weather is becoming a bit more tempremental!

backup

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:15 pm

Hi Mac

Nice thing about Belmullet is that there is always somewhere to fish no matter how bad the weather! (well almost always...)

Looking forward to it already ;-)

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:05 pm

Gents,

Sounds good. Haven't really fished since the Wexford comp so itchin to get out again. Belmullet sounds like a good spot too.

Have we worked out a handicap for Mark yet? Other than adding his tripod to his casts:wink:

Donal.

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:19 pm

haha!! cheers to Rockhopper i have replaced the leg on my tripod- ready for action! Kieran are you thinkin of a beach or a rock mark?

have to start maken millions of rigs!!!!!

special ones!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:34 pm

Just had a look at the calendar and the last Saturday is Oct 29th which is the Bank Holiday w/e.

Not sure if that suits eveyone??? How many have we so far, tentatively at least for Sat 29th???

Donal.

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:21 pm

Going to be dodgy for that one, don't think the girlfriend would be that enamoured with me feckin off for bank holiday.

Pete

change of date?

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:44 am

Okay

How about the 1st weekend in November?
getting a bit late if we have a dose of bad weather...

RSVP

balmullet

Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:41 pm

Fished a beach in Balmullet a couple of weeks ago, 3 hours incoming tide me and 4 other lads
not even a bite
dingbat

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:01 am

First w/e in November works for me Kieran.

Thanks,

Donal.

5th November - venue, tide and times...

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:48 pm

okay...

Recommending we look at the weekend of Saturday 5th November on the rocks behind Blacksod Lighthouse - 20 minute drive from Belmullet village.

Saturday 5th is the day after the spring tide, HW is 7 pm, sunset is 5 pm and the tide is around 3.8 metres at the spot in question from 0.8 metres at LW.

Fishing is from the rocks over a very rocky margin and onto mixed ground with sand - can throw up just about anything including flats, rays, gurnard, whiting and haddock at distance with wrasse, pollack, the odd mackerel, and smaller bits including dogs huss and congers in the rough stuff closer in. Coalies are often around in massive shoals - shocking stuff if you hit them. Took some very nice codling here last year, including my PB of 7 lbs 4 oz albeit earlier than 5th November.

If the weather is nasty and/or from the S or W, we can switch to alternative venues in the north of Belmullet facing N or NE (around and about the Blind Harbour / Tippe Pier) and fish over similar ground so any baits etc will not go to waste.
The rocks behind the Lighthouse are very exposed, rough ground close in, not a spot for beginners really but you can fish relatively tightly bunched and it can accommodate loads of people. If the weather is appalling...

I will research B&B, pubs, etc. but I doubt there will be a problem finding vacancies in November! ;-)

With the new five (5) hour competition, we could run it from from 1 to 6 pm up almost to the full tide. If by consent we have enough light and conditions are benign i.e. safe, we can move the competition out another hour or two to fish up over the top of the tide in darkness... say up to 7 or 8 pm. If people want to make a weekend of it, they have the Sunday to fish, at least in the morning before travelling home...

RSVP

5th November

Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:03 pm

Hi Kieran, Hi all.
I'll do my best to get there. Been an age since I hit the Beach. Renovating the house, Work and Installing a Wind Turbine and solar electric system conspire to keep the rods in the cupboard
:( :(

5th November

Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:19 pm

Okay

All I have so far is 4 people with an expressed interest in this - in which case, we'll fish some very nice marks, (weather permitting)...

Any other takers out there ? :(

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:02 am

if i can get a lift i'd love to fish it Kieran.

5th november

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:20 am

Hi Mark

Check with our club officials! I think Kevin has planned a meeting for the committee around this event so I doubt you'll have a problem with a lift.

Alternatively consider the train and one of us can pick you up in Castlebar or Westport?

WEATHER FORECASE: NOAA

Winds southerly 25 knots dropping to westerly 11 knots on Saturday afternoon evening, increasing to 20 knots and heading North Westerly on Sunday. Rainfall predicted heavy for Friday night dropping off lighter on the Saturday morning, increasing again on the Sunday. Not perfect but it looks like the Saturday afternoon will have the best of the weather...