Little Killary SAC Competition - August 2005

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:49 pm

Hi Lads

Okay, it falls to me to organise the next two closed SAC competitions, one provisionally scheduled for Rossanrubble (just north of Westport and beside Newport) and another for lure fishing only (initially listed for Streedagh Point but we might change that for a whole variety of reasons)...

Any preferences for a weekend in August or Early September (can be the last as it's my sons birthday and I would be shot!)? Rays and Bull huss are about now. Who will want B&B accommodation? Who will be travelling - can people car pool or use the train to Westport? Anyone with a dodgy knee or other considerations that I need to know about (PM me if you feel you need to)...

Thanks: the sooner your respond, the sooner we can schedule and tie it down.
Last edited by kieran on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:11 am

Not the weekend of the 13th or 20th for me, any others are fine. Any members travelling from cork, limerick, clare need a lift, let me know.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:03 am

Any of the 13th/20th/27th August and the 3rd September are ok for me. I'm away for the whole of September otherwise. Will be driving so have room for two other people in the car if required.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:26 am

Any weekend in August or Sept except 26th of August weekend (Fleadh Ceoil in Letterkenny!). Should have room for anyone coming down from Donegal.

Pete

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:41 am

Future uncertain, but probably any w/e in August or September would suit.
Might have to ask the missus for permission for August 13th though. It's somebody's birthday and I mightn't be allowed out....

Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:02 pm

Kieran,

I cannot make it the following dates, Aug 13th, Sept 3rd, Sept 24th.

Other than that I'm fine. I actually have a wedding on Sunday Sept 18 in Mayo so that w/e could be a good one for me.

Donal.

Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:35 pm

August 13th and 20th are no good for myself. I'm away in Cork for a week. Any other dates are ok.

Kev

Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:38 pm

August 7th then, anyone? I'm snookered for the 13th, and the first 2 weekends in September.

competition...

Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:25 pm

Okay

Looking at the emails I think we are looking at the weekend of August 26th/27th (sorry pete)... so simple question, so I am assuming people will prefer to travel down on the Friday and fish on the Saturday with the option of a few pints or travelling back thereafter or on the Sunday.

Anyone with a problem for that weekend, shout now.
Also how many will require B&B or similar accommodation?

Thanks

Kieran

Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:44 pm

sounds ok to me? how about the rest of yee??

Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:00 am

Sounds good to me too. Travelling down on the Friday evening and back on the Sunday. Kieran can you let us know about accomodation close by?

Thanks,

Donal.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:33 am

Should be fine for me too. I'll probably head down early Saturday morning though, and stay over Saturday night

Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:41 am

What time do you plan to start the comp at? If it's late enough, might be able to come down on the day. Dunno yet what accomodation is required...

tentative

Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:19 am

should be ok...have to work on permission slip.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:29 pm

Sounds Fine to me, can you give us a guide time for start and finish times.

Doh! Apologies guys...

Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:25 pm

Big apologies :oops: :oops: :oops: and large slice of humble pie...

Saturday 27th August is not good - just got the tide table and it is as good as the neap tide (3.3. m down to 1.6 m) and that means there will be little enough water in Rossanrubble regardless of the time of day, and bugger all water running means that the rays will probably not show up and they are the key species... Sorry about this guys but there is no point in fishing a mark that will blank, or at most produce a few doggies...

If you want to stick to Saturday 27th, we could run a competition from 12 noon to 4 pm to catch the full tide down, say in Little Killary in Galway?

That means you have to travel on the Friday or really early on the Saturday. Accommodation is possible in the youth hostel in Leenane and there are lots of B&Bs in the area. It is a bit farther to travel but it is a really solid mark, rarely producing bad results... it produces a far wider variety of species (I have seen wrasse, rays, dogs, whiting, mackerel, gurnard, dabs, plaice and congers there myself) and am told that it produced 17 species in a competition in Oct 2004.

Another option for Saturday 27th August is to look at a roving competition from Mulranny across to An Corraun, just ten minutes west of Newport and run the planned lure only competition there, again from 12:00 noon down to catch the tide? This gives you a chance at the mythical Mayo bass and sea trout around Mulranny, with pollack etc. at An Corraun.

Sorry again for the cock-up - never organised a competition before (like that does not show :roll: !!!).

RSVP

Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:06 pm

too good to choose?! Little Killary does sound good though! all those species- the mouth waters...

Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:48 am

Whatever, not fussed myself. Travelling from Cork so Galway/mayo makes no difference to me.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:02 am

Little Killary Sounds good to me too but I'm not fussed either way. Whatever works for most.

Donal.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:27 am

Little Killary Sounds good to me too.