Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:52 pm

From easytide..
Sat 30 Apr
HW LW HW LW
04:15 10:20 17:10 22:49
3.2 m 3.1 m

Adjusted already for BST.

We discussed it and think fishing from 2pm to 6pm. Meet up in a venue TBC for registration etc between noon and 1pm.
This will of course be a catch and return competition, with fish measured rather than weighed.

How does that sound?

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:02 pm

Sounds good to me. Are the spots drawn from a hat?

Club

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:47 pm

hi
I would be interested in finding out about your club and to see if you are part of ifsa and if you are we can fish the opens and league . I live in dublin and can fish your first comp

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:53 pm

yes- we are members of the ifsa.
If you join you can fish our competitions and the ifsa will send you a membership card.

go here for more details
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/joinSAC.html

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:08 pm

the cheque is in the post. Have you got prizes for compo or is it something different and what is compo fee

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:45 pm

No more interest it seem. If you are thinking about this one please let me know asap as I have to try arrange all the final details. Entry will be €10 bucks. The rest I'll sort out when we get close to final numbers. I have had 3 people say they can't make it and I have 7 that can

MAC
JD
M.B3
IdPearl
Steve
Don
Kleeneze

I need a few more people to make this worth the trip. I am thinking about staying the night at a local B&B to chat and have a few beers. Let me know if you want me to check out a place for you. Come on guys, I'm sure we can get a few more interested in thin one.

Kevin

Count me in

Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:05 pm

All going well I should be there

Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:22 pm

OK-I gave a call to La Touche hotel in Greystones. We are quite welcome to meet up there at noon Saturday, and after the event as well!

So- registration noon - one pm at the bar. You can join the club there as well.!
Entry fee is 10 euro -

Jd

Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:15 pm

Gents,

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday. Any tips or is that a bit cheeky ahead of the comp.

Never fished in a competition and never fished Greystones either. What is the ground like? Any suggestions on rigs baits etc would be welcome.

Thanks,

Donal.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:12 pm

it is worth having a reel with you that can handle a bit of rough. this is just incase you get a peg with loads of the rocky kelpy stuff in front of ye! i pressume 3 hook flappers for scratchin round, but clipped down rigs of some sort worth a shot for longer range, particularly for doggies (not to say that they cannot be caught close in). also, if you are fishing rough/mixed ground you will need end rigs that will accomodate this- lighter snoods than mainline, weaklinks, hooks that bend out and the like. specific tips will take too long to post!!! Lampoon gave some good info. on this beach in one of his posts. look it up!!! best of luck!

just hope the weather holds up.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:00 pm

tried to get my hands on a new reel today to load with braid. veal's system is down. anyone know what's wrong with it?? must ring them 2moro. need it for the comp. sugar.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:01 am

I've a poxy exam on Friday so I'll have my head in the books all week. Hopefully I'll get a chance to dig some bait before Saturday. Low tide in Sutton on Saturday is 10.20, so as long as I get there by 9ish, I should make it down to the hotel by 12.

Where exactly is the La Touche hotel by the way?

Anyone need a lift from the Santry/Coolock area? I'll be happy to oblige, although I'll need to head home fairly sharpish after the comp.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:22 am

it's just behind the the little bay just south of the harbour. you can walk to it from greystones pier in 2 minutes.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:30 am

Steve wrote:I've a poxy exam on Friday so I'll have my head in the books all week. .

Good luck-I've one today :(

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:08 am

have a big day 2moro myself. fingers crossed. best of luck all.

heard it the rain was supposed to 'come back' for the saturday comp!! we'll see.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:59 pm

Holy Christ,

I just read our draft competition rules. Do you all bring a 5 litre bucket to keep fish alive in until the end of the comp? I am probably being ambitious here (assuming I will catch a fish) but if there is only a few of us in the club how far apart will we be and surely we can rely on individuals and witnesses signing off on their cards without having to keep the best fish alive to the end of the comp. Is it a requirement to do this?

Donal.

Rule Query no 2!

Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:11 pm

Was wondering about that too. I'm a complete novice when it comes to matches, so excuse the ignorance. If we are getting an "adjudicator" or the person next to us to measure the fish when we catch them, why do we keep our two best fish in a bucket till the end? Do we not just hand up the signed scorecard, and the winners are decided based on whose card shows the biggest round fish/flattie? I can understand stricter rules for larger closed comps, and definitely for open comps, but when there are only going to be 8 or 10 of us there is it really necessary to use a five litre bucket? (yes, as you've probably guessed, I don't have a bucket that big!).

Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:28 pm

I'll talk to the others -
Certainly for this competition I think we should rely on scorecards.

jd

Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:08 pm

Hi Guys,

Theres no need for stewards as its only a small club competition. The angler next to you can measure and release the fish and mark your card and sign it at the end just like in say golf. I would recommend you make up a few wooden sticks with cms marked off on them so the fish can be laid out on. This would prevent "errors" in measurement from bending rulers and rulers with carring incorrect measurements. A bucket of water can be used to revive fish but I wouldn't advise leaving a fish in one for four hours.

A good example of measure and release is Tralee bay. They give 5 points per fish and a point for each cm. Doggies get a straight 20 points no matter what size they are. You might want to put a couple of euros each in for pool for the biggest fish.

I might be able to call in on saturday to help out if someone wants to pass on their mobile by PM.

Donagh

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:06 pm

I mentioned these 'excessive' rules a few months back when Kieran was looking for feedback. Seems to me like you need a degree just to understand the club rules!

Simplicity is the key here lads, too many rules will confuse people and in some cases will put anglers off coming (especially if they are new to comps) which looks like whats happening. A bit of trust in your fellow angler is also required.... and anyway if you get your fish signed on both sides you should have no problems.

In our club we have a very sensible rule when fishing a comp.....each angler is a steward and has a responsibility to look out for any foul play and keep an eye on the safety side of things. The club has been up and running for over 50 years and the IFSA rules and basic common sence havent failed us yet! :)