Dates & Locations

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:39 am

Hi all

Just wondering whether you all felt that we should look at some prospective dates and locations for competitions (open and closed) for the year? IT would be good to hammer down when people are available, what time of day and day of the week suits, and any idea on how we can organise the master angler competition given the range of venues. I have the IFSA rulebook and its very good so I think we will adopt it once I have it typed up for you all to look at (!) but I am chocked up with work at the moment. So, dates and locations. Two venues per province please lads. Easy access preferable.

BTW, it would be nice to run at least one competition which would coincide with our UK members holidays over here, so post up those dates lads.

RSVP

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:17 pm

got the IFSA rulebook at the show yesterday. will have a read of it.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:36 pm

Kieran
Very considerate of you.
Sunday14th August to Friday 26th August in the Courtmacsherry area and would travel, but please only make use of this information if you are really clutching at straws!!
Tim

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:12 pm

opinions for east coast lads?? 2 venues, where do yee think? if we find out where first we can then sort out dates (with suitable tides!!).

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:49 pm

Mark,
Most dates should suit. Do you or any of the other SAC members need a good tides prediction programme?
PM me your email address. Its only about 1Mb.
JK

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:42 am

cheers jfk but the tides are in the IFSA rulebook. i think there there for the next 2 years! the venue is going to be the difficult one. even if someone gave a list of potential spots, lets say based on access alone, we could then make a selection. i am useless as i would fish almost anywhere.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:57 pm

For the sake of access and a clean fishing mark I would suggest Clones Strand being just on the Wexford/Wicklow border it would suit anglers on the east coast coming down from Dublin and up from Waterford or South Wexford.

Open to any other suggestions though.

(By the way, how do you include emoticons in the posting?)

Venues

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:04 pm

Having blanked at numerous wicklow venues last year I am now of the opinion that I would rather spend that extra time in the car driving to a better venue than catch nothing. My point is the venue chosen should be the most consistent producer, ensuring that everybody catches and competitions will be won by skill rather than luck. A car pool thread in conjunction with every comp should help out those relying on public transport.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:22 pm

Don,

Click on the desired emoticon on the left hand side. :D

There isn't one for someone making a long distance cast and catching huge fish though! :cry:

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:28 pm

and what about those not coming down from Dublin or up from Wexford :?:

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:43 pm

Ok,
Bit confused now. Would it be handy if everyone gave there top 5 east coast venues for march in order of preference?
Then we could maybe come to a concensus verdict? :lol:

JK

Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:44 pm

as regards dates i found wicklow beaches picked up a little towards end of march, judging by past catches. maybe someone knows something i don't?? where do other clubs fish at this time of year??

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:20 pm

checked out competition dates for this time of year presuming the other clubs new where to expect a few fish!! bray outcasts have a comp at the end of feb. the venue is greystones. wexford sac have comps in march on the wexford beaches of ballinhoulart and tinnaberna.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:03 pm

Point taken Conor.

Sorry,

Donal.

competition dates

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:02 pm

It does not matter to me what dates if I am off work I could probably get there. My own club (Donegal Bay S.A.C.) have their open on Rossnowlagh Beach on the 6th of November.
dingbat

competition dates

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:05 pm

It does not matter to me what dates if I am off work I could probably get there. My own club (Donegal Bay S.A.C.) have their open on Rossnowlagh Beach on the 6th of November. we weighed in 130 fish over 250cm for 68 anglers last year
dingbat

meet dates and times?

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:17 pm

Hi

I was going to suggest something like Dollymount Strand for the first competition / meet, just to get as many people together as possible.

Maybe early in March to give the flounder a chance to return from spawning, an evening meet on an incoming tide? Ian, would you know how its fishing?

RSVP

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:59 pm

Kieran while i think it would be a good spot it really dosen't pick up until the end of april with may being very relaible. i have only had one flounder here in march, and although my biggest from the beach, not easily repeated! i have tried. an hour before low tide and then the through the rise is best. this is just the spots i have fished on the beach, it may fish better/ differently up towards the sutton end? i could try it soon and see if anythings about and let you know how it went. usually just small coalies, novelty size small!

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:00 pm

Thinking about going this weekend. Gonna try and persuade Mark to go as nowhere else seems to be fishing well anyway! If we do get down there, I'll report back.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:01 pm

Speak of the devil......