Draft Competition Rules

Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi

Based on a document supplied, (thanks) from Chris at the Wirral SAC, we have drafted a first attempt at a set of competition rules. They are available as a PDF for download (only 4 pages, 114 K) from the joinSAC.html page, or you can follow the link below. All comments welcome, don't be shy!

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/SAI% ... ft%201.pdf

Thanks

Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:15 am

just had a read. some good rules in the pionts system which should make for some interesting fishing. one thing though (you did ask for feedback!). i hope i didn't read this wrong! here goes!

on the topic of foul hooked fish did it read that a foul hooked fish counts at the discretion of the organizer? if so i would be very against this practice. where i do not have a problem with it would be when a fish is 'foul hooked' in the nearby vicinity of the mouth, suggesting the fish intended to eat the bait. otherwise it could be considered as 'snibbling'.

if an angler catches a fish on another anglers rig should it count? i am at two minds about this as to where to draw the line. ie, if an angler catches a fish with another anglers hook in it does it count???

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:44 am

That looks very comprehensive Kieran. Glad we won't be fishing "roving competitions", they just end up in masses of fish being killed unnecessarily. And lots of disputes by all accounts!

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:19 am

I hope you don't mind me interjecting as I'm not a club member but have you checked out the IFSA diary before adopting an English clubs rules. It has a number of different conservation based methods for competitions. Nearly all irish shore competitions practice catch and release and did so well before the few clubs that have started to do this in England. I can send on last years diary if you need it just give me an address.

Donagh

rules

Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:37 am

Don't mind it at all Donagh.

It has been difficult to find information on things like club constitutions, general practices, competition rules etc - you'd sweat they were state secrets the way some people have reacted to perfectly reasonable requests!

PO Box 59, Castlebar PO, Castlebar, Co Mayo.

Thanks

Rules

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:16 pm

Hi, Kieran

Go to the I.F.S.A. site in your links .The present rules should be there.
Contact the secretary and request a diary.
Dingbat

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:26 pm

Might seem like a stupid question, but do the rules on the PDF apply equally to Boat and Shore cishing and competitions :?:

Boat Competition Rules

Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:39 pm

Hi H Rocks

No is the short answer. A bit of a case of walking before we run etc.

We have not looked at boat rules yet owing to the problems with boat competitions, but if someone (not looking at anyone you understand) wants to send in some sample rules then please feel free...

Thanks

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:04 pm

grand so. I've never fished competitions, so have no idea of rules, but as this was the reason I wanted to join a registered club, I'll look into boat fishing competition rules if you want.

Cheers

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Kieran,

The I.F.S.A. Master Angler [ Boat] Rules would be a good start.

I may be a bit out of touch, but given your location I would have
thought there were plenty of people in Westport could help.

Failing that try Pat and Treasa Walsh in Corraun [ and say long time
no see from me ]

IFSA competition rules

Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:08 pm

Hi

Shore angling rules from IFSA diary have arrived.
Will look at it and get something down here on it shortly.

Thanks

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:59 pm

Sorry lads but just an observation for all its worth.

I thought fishing was meant to be a bit of laugh while at the same time enjoying your sport. It seems to me that the rules and regs of this new club are a bit excessive. Surely you shouldn't have to fill out forms and read reams of rules before going fishing? From my experience the more you do this the more people you intimidate from joining and taking part. There are adequate rules in the IFSA which will cover all the safety and conservation issues that are important. Maybe this club is for fishermen with degrees only!!!? I just think things seem to be getting a little out of hand.

I would also warn against cash prizes. Historically my club always had real prizes as prizes if you catch my drift. There was always a bit of banter at our comps and were really fun to fish. However, about four years ago the club changed to a cash prize system. While losing entrents and atmosphere, anglers got so competitive that people stopped going - the 'fun' and 'sport' were taken out. Its amazing what the thought of money does. Anyway Id just ask you to consider giving prizes instead of cash - even vouchers for tackle or bait? It will save you hassle in the long run and will keep things nice and friendly.

rules and regs

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:41 am

Hi
Whatever about competition rules, we need to get the club rules and constitution right from the start. For one thing, due to money laundering laws,it is *a lot* harder to open a bank account than it was a few years ago, and I'd prefer to make no more than one trip to the bank to open the account!. Quite pernickity, the banks these day :(
john